User Tag List

Thread: Keeping things moving

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping things moving

While making my iOS game I have been testing on a nice shiny and newish iTouch 4th generation which everything runs speedily along but also on a 2nd generation iTouch which most of the time runs speedily but at times of heavy load it slows down. The device is just not as powerful as its more modern versions. When the device is slowing down, so is my game.

To keep the game running at the same speed, or appear to, I can use MMF's built in movements and tick the timer based movement option for each object. When the frame rate drops due heavy load, MMF compensates by moving the objects to where they would have been if the frame rate was remaining constant.

Sometimes you may want to move objects yourself. This example shows you how I have done this in a similar way to MMF's timer based movement.

Tap the screen to change the frame rate between 60 and 30 and the object moving with our timer based movement keeps moving at a constant speed. When you employ this technique on your objects, everything will keep moving at the speed you defined even if a few frames are dropped during heavy load.

This is one way to achieve this result which has been working well for me.
    Attached files Attached files
    Andy H @ ovine.net
    Awful Jokes - a new cartoon every day: http://awful.ovine.net/
    Ovine's games: http://www.ovine.net

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Keeping things moving

Nice example! Never knew about the gbDelta

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note gbDelta is a global value I have created - (g)lobal value (b). I populate this variable in the global event editor, just one event line with a couple of actions so be sure to check that out.
    Andy H @ ovine.net
    Awful Jokes - a new cartoon every day: http://awful.ovine.net/
    Ovine's games: http://www.ovine.net

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah, just figured it was a MMF function, doh!

i'll check out the global event editor, thanks.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic! Considering working this into an update of Hungry Beetle since when testing it on an iPod Touch 2nd Gen recently it ran very slowly. Couldn't work out why it slowed down whilst Cow Boom retained the speed but lost framerate, of course, it's because I used X and Y positioning to move my character rather than a built in movement. This should do the trick, thanks Andy!

Quick question - do 'timer based movements' also apply to the advanced movement objects such as advanced platform movement, advanced path movement, and the newer click team movements?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used this in a project now and it's running beautifully on older devices. My concern though is this with platform movements. I want to create a static platform movement which takes advantage of this in order to run on older devices but I think that since this essentially moves objects *further* if the framerate is *lower*, then in theory this will mess up the jumping - when the game is running at a lower framerate the character will actually jump higher. I'm trying to work out a good solution to this. Any ideas?