Thread: Exporting Java for the Mac...

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exporting Java for the Mac...

Hey, folks!

I have successfully been able to export my MMF2 application to Java for the Mac. However, not being a Mac-head, I don't know which file(s) I need an Apple device to initially reference. Since there is no auto-generated HTML file produced for the "Java for the Mac" output (as there is for the stand-alone Internet Java application), I don't know which file(s) to initially set up on a HTML page that an Apple device would reference.

Along these lines, can MMF "Java for Mac" output be opened from most Apple devices, ranging from iPads, computers, or any other device which is Internet-enabled?

Thank you for your help in advance! Have a great day!

Most appreciatively...

RGBreality

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Exporting Java for the Mac...

The "Java for Mac" option builds a stand-alone Java application wrapped into a Mac .app package.

If you want something you can embed in a web page, just use the normal "Java Internet Applet" option.

There is no Java support on iOS devices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, the "Java for Mac" option can only work if the Java application is first loaded onto the Apple device; it won't work from a Web site. Is that correct?

Presently my default project settings are to use the "Java Stand-Alone Internet Applet" setting, and it does work fine in producing a stand-alone Java build which can be viewed from a Web site for PC-only devices.

EDIT with follow-up question: So, if I were to offer this "Java for Mac" output as a non-sanctioned "cracked" Apple application (meaning, one wouldn't purchase and download it through an Apple iStore or iTunes), do I simply ZIP it for download, then use a tool like IPA-God to install it? Or how do Apple users install such an application from MMF2's "Java for Mac" output?

RGBreality

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you assume its for PC only devices?

Any Mac with a browser that supports java should be able to run it too, right?

The Java for Mac is not for internet, its for Macs, like an .exe for a pc.

Just java for internet is for both PC's and Mac's , so long as the browser on the mac supports java...which I'd assume most do.

please correct me if I'm wrong anyone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, BrashMonkey!

I have very limited experience using Java output, but from what testing I have done with a coworker who has an Apple iPad, his iPad cannot open JAR output (as output from the "Java stand-alone Internet applet" output option). His iPad loads the HTML page (such as text content), but it doesn't recognize the JAR output).

After doing some research, it seems that Apple does not support Java output--so there is no way to produce Java (from any multimedia production tool, nevermind MMF2).

Since Apple also doesn't support Flash, it seems that the only standardized type of output Apple will play is HTML5. I think HTML5 is still so relatively new that mature tools are only now coming out to support it.

Or so it seems from my perception of reality...

RGBreality

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    There is no Java support on iOS devices.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An iPad isn't a little MacBook, it's a big iPhone.

The Mac, as a platform, is very different - most OS X installations will have Java, and can run your Java internet applets in exactly the same way as Windows (I'm not talking about the Java for Mac option here).

If you want to run your application on iOS (that's the iPhone or the iPad) it will need to be one of two things :-

* A native iOS application (see the iOS exporter)

* A web page using Javascript and the <canvas> element (commonly referred to as HTML5). MMF doesn't currently support this, and as a platform for games it's very immature anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, Jamie! Thanks for jumping into the conversation (since are you likely to be the most knowledgeable among us about this).

I actually want my Internet Java application to run online--not on any Apple device itself. So, if I understand you correctly, most Apple devices will run Internet Java stand-alone applet as long as they are being called from HTML5 (using the <canvas> element) and not earlier HTML standards. Would that be correct?

My MMF2 project is WAY too large to upload to MFA Repository. But my output can be viewed here (using a Windows PC with Java installed):

http://onlinehelp.ultimus.com/GettingStartedGuide/V8GettingStartedGuide.htm

Do you think this can be viewed from an Apple iPad if it was embedded into an HTML5 page?

Thank you for your help and feedback!

Most appreciatively...

RGBreality

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RGBreality
    So, if I understand you correctly, most Apple devices will run Internet Java stand-alone applet as long as they are being called from HTML5 (using the <canvas> element) and not earlier HTML standards. Would that be correct?
    No. Javascript and the canvas element are nothing to do with Java (you're not the first to confuse Java and Javascript, but they really have nothing to do with each other).

Only a Mac will run Java in any form. You can't run Java on an iOS device (even embedded in a web page).

Quote Originally Posted by RGBreality
    My MMF2 project is WAY too large to upload to MFA Repository. But my output can be viewed here (using a Windows PC with Java installed):

http://onlinehelp.ultimus.com/GettingStartedGuide/V8GettingStartedGuide.htm

Do you think this can be viewed from an Apple iPad if it was embedded into an HTML5 page?
    No. I'm afraid the only way this will ever run on an iOS device is via the iOS exporter (unless you don't use MMF, and rewrite it in HTML/Javascript).

Not that this is much help, but it would run on most Android tablets if it was embedded as a SWF...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, Jamie! Thank you again for your input!

Actually, I have been pushing my (cheap-ass) boss to invest in the $69 MMF2 Flash export plug-in so I can produce this in Flash. Unfortunately, he wants a "proof of concept first," of which a Java version is the closest I can come. I have a meeting with some big-wigs on Wednesday where I hope to persuade them to invest in the entire $69 for the Flash export plug-in. Our business market is more catering toward Windows, anyhow, so I would prefer a way of exporting this project so that Windows and non-Apple tablets could view it. (I have tried to use the same MMF2 objects compatible with Flash in this project.)

On a side note, I think it's great that ClickTeam has developed an Apple-friendly output plug-in; the great number of OSes that ClickTeam can output to makes it a more valuable multimedia product.

Thank you again for your great advice!

Most appreciatively...

RGBreality

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast