User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Isometric Pathfinding (possible $$$)

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Isometric Pathfinding (possible $$$)

I solved the jumping/dropping down issue. Now the characters can jump up and down different heights properly as well.

So overall I think this pathfinding was a success. I have it doing everything minus letting characters walk under or over a bridge or into tunnels... But really, I don't need it. So everything is good to go.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to hear that you got everything working now
    -Mokhtar M. Khorshid

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't mind sharing your method of translating the 2d active that is doing the pathfinding, to the isometric view, it would be much appreciated!

I've tried creating it but using the slide to cell function in IsoGrid2 isn't smooth.

I still need to work out how to do step-based pathfinding instead of the "rotate active to next path node" one that comes as an example for the Integrated Path Object.

I've got a level editor down and it draws the isometric world based on the 2d map, it's just the pathfinding that's messing me up haha. I think it's just a matter of translating 2d co-ordinates to isometric.

Edit: From watching your video the movement of the player is quite fast when you tell them where to travel, is there anyway to adjust that speed?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the method I am using for pathfinding is that I have the integrated path planning extension for calculating the paths out... it creates a list of x,y cell points to move to. I feed this into the isometric extension and tell it to move the character to the next x,y cell in the list. It then removes those from the list and once the movement is finished, it goes to the next cell position in the list until it runs out of positions to move to.

So the program is basically telling an active object:

"move to this x,y cell"
    "now move to this one"
    "now this one"
    "okay thats it"

:p

The characters move fast because my game is turnbased and I want to reduce the amount of time wasted watching a character slowly walk to a new space. Nobody really cares to see a character walking lazily to a new position every single time they move. But yeah, it is super easy to adjust the speed. You'd do this with the isometric grid object. There is an action under Movement called "slide object into cell". You just enter the column/row/level to move the object to, and then how many MMF loops it takes to reach that spot (that is where you set your movement speed)

Also be careful about how you're doing this movement. You said something about translating coordinates to isometric, but that isn't really the case. 2D Isometric is literally just a flat 2D grid that is visually rotated. You have to think of your game as if it were just a normal grid instead of isometric. The pathfinding and movement is all done as if the grid wasn't isometric... It is the isometric object that moves the objects to look as if they are moving on an isometric grid when in fact they are just moving on a normal grid.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the explanation I knew it had something to do with the list on your screenshot!

I was trying to avoid the IsoGrid slide to cell because it wasn't really a constant movement...like the player would walk to the cell, stop then it would tell the player to walk to the next cell, there wasn't really any speed control for constant movement without trying to perfect it using the movement loops value.

I'm trying to have different speeds for a tower defense based game where objects move through a maze at a constant speed...i'll see how I go though, thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: Figured it out

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you share your solution?

Thanks

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, i'll post the basic engine I created when I get home (if I can remember)

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He never remembered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast