User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Isometric Pathfinding (possible $$$)

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isometric Pathfinding (possible $$$)

I'm trying to set up an isometric game with pathfinding. So far I have a pretty nice isometric engine working using the Isometric Grid Object 2.

Now I'm trying to get pathfinding working with an isometric multi-level map. But I'm having difficulties making that happen.

I'm using the Integrated Path Planning Object which seems pretty awesome but by default it's only searching an x,y grid and not x,y and z.

So yeah, if anyone wants to give this a go, I'd be very grateful. I talked to Mokhtar (the guy who created the path planning object) and he said it could be done by setting up transitions to jump like 100 tiles for each z level (so floor 1 would be like 0-99 tiles and floor 2 would be 100-199, etc) But I'm having trouble getting it to actually detect that there are walkable tiles on the next level up...

If anyone is up to the challenge, I might even be able to offer some money for a completed iso pathfinding script... If that lights the fire for someone to want to do this.

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Isometric Pathfinding (possible $$$)

Nobody up for the challenge?

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know how to help You. Can You send me screen of map or some demo of your game?

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After some further discussion with Mokhtar, he's explained a good way to go about doing it without needing to pathfind in 3D space... so I'm gonna try that out and see what happens.

Here is a screenshot of the game so you can see what type of pathfinding I'm talking about:

What he said is to basically make the path finder grid cells smaller than the game tiles, so that I can weight the edges of tiles as solid, that way I can plot out the tiles that can't just be walked over. It's actually pretty simple but it's going to take some setting up to get it working in an isometric game.

So I'm gonna go with making each game tile take up a 3x3 cell block of the pathfinder grid. This way I can set the corners to obstacles (so the path agent stays centered in the 3x3 cell) and then for walls, I'll just fill in those middle bits so the agent can't walk through it.

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3D pathfinding will be faster and better for Your game.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your solution won't work for tunnels though

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it won't work for tunnels or jumping up or down several levels of tiles... But unless someone can give me a better solution, this will do for now.

I mean, I'd love to have bridges/overpasses and jumping, but I'd rather at least have something than nothing.

edit: I'm pretty sure this is what a lot of isometric tactics games have done... If you notice games like Final Fantasy Tactics for the DS, you'll note a severe lack of tunnels or bridges or anything like that. Though how they manage jumping is something I haven't figured out.

I mean, maybe it's not the exact method used in other games, but it seems like a pretty decent (and fast) method of pathfinding a hilly isometric environment.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jumping is simple too - you put detectors where you want them to be able to jump and just make them jump straight up and then move forward on the way down. That way they don't go through walls and can still pathfind - of course if you have jump detectors in an area you need to make it pathable.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but where would the detectors go in the path finding data grid? The grid can only check cells with weight 0 (empty) or 100 (obstacle)

I forgot to mention that I'm not using objects as obstacles... All of the obstacles are defined as weighted cells in the pathfinding grid. I can't use level objects to interact with anything because it needs to remain raw data so that I can instance the game on a server.

I couldn't very well create hundreds of games in the server app and run all the frames at the same time... so I'm using arrays to define obstacle tiles in the pathfinder.

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a screenshot of what I have so far:

(click for full size)

The list box is showing all of the obstacle cells in the array that need checked for the pathfinder

The little green square represents the player on a 2D topdown grid version of the level.

Red blocks = Tiles blocking on the left side
    Blue blocks = Tiles blocking on the right side
    Orange = Tiles blocking on the top
    Purple = Tiles blocking on the bottom

So if you look at the iso map in the background, and compare it to the 2D grid map overlaying it, you can see that it does work out nicely... and it's using nothing but the isometric cell data to set it up. The level could very well be empty of active objects and it would still create that 2D map from the array data.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast