User Tag List

Thread: Music compression and file size

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music compression and file size

Is there any compression settings (bitrate/frequency) for music in iOS export?

I added one 3 minute .xm track to my game, which I assume is being converted into mp3 or similar by the exporter, and that track alone added 23 megabytes to my project file size! In Flash, I would usually use low bitrates 64 kbps or even 48 kpbs to keep the file size in reasonable limits (and sacrifice sound quality intentionally), but I can't find any mp3 compression settings for iOS projects. I also tried to convert the .xm file to an .ogg file and reduce the sound quality of the ogg, but it didn't help either - in fact, that added 27 Mb to the project file size. In MMF2 Data Elements listing, the ogg music is only 1.4 Mb.

Even when the file size is not that big of a constraint on iOS than on Flash, 23-27 Mb is definitely way too much for a single track.

Any solution to this? Can mp3 compression settings be added? Or is it somehow possible to workaround this by manually replacing the music file with another file of lower quality and size after the project has been built in MMF2?

EDIT: In fact, now that I think about it, the 23-27 Mb sounds like a .wav file size to me for a 3 minute track. Could it be that my mp3 compression fails completely for some reason (no errors anywhere) and instead of mp3, wav format would be used for the game to play the music? How can I check this?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Music compression and file size

The iOS exporter has no MP3 encoder. When a sound is not in MP3 or WAV format already, it's converted to WAV.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Music compression and file size

I see, thanks. That explains it. So if I save my music directly to mp3 and then re-build my app, I should see a big reduction in the file size as the ogg file I used previously was converted to wav. EDIT: indeed, now my project file size looks more reasonable..

Btw, is this lack of MP3 encoder due to licensing issues?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The iOS exporter has no MP3 encoder. When a sound is not in MP3 or WAV format already, it's converted to WAV.
    So not including WAV (coz there massive), how do i make a music piece that loops perfectly on iOS? as mp3 filest hav a slight gap at he beginning