User Tag List

Thread: copyright for music, graphics, etc.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

copyright for music, graphics, etc.

Hi all,

I'm always thinking about purchasing the ios runtime.

I wonder sth about copyrights, especially about musics and sounds copyrights. Considering the app will be sold on appstore, what's the matter about copyrights.
    Sounds and musics avalaible on the web are often free to use but in a non-commercial way ...?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: copyright for music, graphics, etc.

If you want to sell something, you'll either have to make those assets yourself or buy/negotiate a copyright deal.

I recommend checking out http://www.shockwave-sound.com if you're looking for some high quality royalty-free music to license for affordable prices.

http://sounddogs.com is one I use sometimes for sound effects.

I expect if you scour the web, you'll be able to find some completely free to use assets such as music, sound effects, graphics etc.

Either way, if you use 3rd party stuff, make sure the copyright owner is OK with you using them. A lot of people might turn a blind eye towards use of such assets in freeware, but if you intend to make money off software with their work it's only fair that they should get paid too.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically yeah, either make it yourself, hire somebody to make it for you or find public domain stuff. There are options to license stuff but the process is difficult and can be costly. I'm lucky to have experience I graphic design, game design and music creation, so al I need to fish for are sound effects, but remember that everything that comes with MMF is free to use. If you want free music and have a Mac (you will need one to build iOS game), try Garageband, the samples are all free to use and there are a number of ready made songs and jingles, or you can click some together with loops.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering.
    If you have old samples from The games factory and such.
    Are these legal to use in games for commercial use?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Clickteam's stuff is all free to use, the library stuff and the stuff out of the examples.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering about old MIDIs of popular music (or old computer game music)... I imagine as we never see them used in commercial releases, they would infringe on copyright.

But if you were to take a midi and change it significantly, taking out channels, changing instruments etc... basically using it as a base for your own music... I'm guessing that would work.

Also, is a specific sound channel often used to play music of a higher quality during the game? I expect it should be, as midis, unless awesome, would not sound as good in some cases...

Any thoughts appreciated.