Thread: Potential buyer with questions about capabilities

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potential buyer with questions about capabilities

Hi all,

I'm strongly considering buying MMF2 for the iOS Exporter, however I've got a few questions:

- Does the exporter properly support higher-res graphics for the iPhone 4?
    - Is it easy to maintain, say, a Windows and iOS version of the same app, sharing majority of code but using different screen resolutions and controls?
    - Are dual iPhone-iPad runtimes supported with both using the proper screen resolution?
    - Not really related to iOS, but if I were to get a standard version of MMF2, would I be able to easily update to MMF2 Developer at some point, or would it be cheaper to go straight to Developer?

Thanks in advance. I've got some background with MMF but the iOS exporter strikes me as something which would be really appealing to play around with.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Potential buyer with questions about capabilities

Ben,

The exporter will support Retina display, but in a different way than you would expect. Build your apps for the higher resolution and rely on the app to res down for lower-res devices. I develop everything at 960x640/640x960 and they run and look great on the lower-res 3GS/iPod Touch/etc. They also scale automatically to the iPod's additional res. This is my favorite feature of MMF2: resolution is relative to the device.

I don't do multiple versions of apps myself. I just target the retina display and that is what I deliver to Windows. I also avoid using controls that lock me down to just one platform whenever possible. Luckily, most of the better controls are on iOS for MMF2. I also like that MMF2 supports DirectX versions so frame rates are great on Windows.

It's the same price to go from Standard to Dev. I lasted about a week before I decided to go to Dev so I could take advantage of in-app purchases and iAd. It also allowed me to not display the MMF2 reference on my apps. I love MMF2, but I didn't want to have to create multiple splashes.

The iOS Exporter is a 1.0 product so from time to time we discover issues, but the folks at Clickteam have been very responsive and on the whole it is extremely reliable and allows you to do things on the iPhone that no other platform can deliver at this time.

I hope my 2 cents helps.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks - That's very helpful.

How does MMF2 support things like iOS Joysticks? For a Windows executable you're not going to want those displayed and for an iPad / iPhone they might be in slightly different positions relative to the edges of the screen. Is it possible to do something like this?

Also - I saw that 'black bars' were mentioned when creating an iPhone + iPad app. Is it possible to make both use the proper aspect ratio of the respective device?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Joystick : you can position the virtual joystick as you want with the Joystick Control object.
    If you make an app that works on all the device, you will end up with bar on one of them. We will correct that with a full-screen resize in one of the next versions.