User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Text/String - Typing sound effect how?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Text/String - Typing sound effect how?

I'm making a text string do a type writer effect. I got the effect to work, but I need it to do the sound effect too. I want the sound effect to play for each letter, and stop playing afterword. Each string of text has a different amount of letters. So how can I make it determine where the end of a paragraph or sentence is?

Also, can I make it not play the sound for spacing, just the text, or would the sound effect have to play for spaces too?

If it helps, this is what I have in my code:
    - Always:
    > [Txt Blitter] - Add 1 to 'Value C'

- Value C of [Txt Blitter] >= 2:
    > [Txt Blitter] - Add 1 to 'Value A'
    > + Change Text: Left$(String$("Text"), Value A("Txt Blitter"))
    > + Set 'Value C' to 0

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Text/String - Typing sound effect how?

Wouldn't you just play the sound one time each time a new letter appears? Is the sound file just a single key press or is it just a bunch of typing noises? I think it would be easier to go with a single key press sound.

As for not playing spaces... well a typewriter technically would make a sound when you hit the space bar... But if you don't want it to include spaces, just have a condition check to make sure the next character isn't " ".

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Konidias
    Wouldn't you just play the sound one time each time a new letter appears? Is the sound file just a single key press or is it just a bunch of typing noises? I think it would be easier to go with a single key press sound.
    Yea each letter is a single key press sound effect. So how would I go about doing this? @_@

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you said you have the typewriter effect working... so I would assume you have an event that displays each character one at a time... Couldn't you put the play sound action in that event? That should play the sound each time a character of text pops up.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me make this a little more clearer.

Look at my code in the topic above. That's the code I use to make the letters appear once at a time. However, If I place a sound file to that event, the sound will keep playing, even after all the text of the paragraph or sentence is ended. In other words, when the text is done appearing, the sound will keep playing when I don't want to.

I need a code, or some sort of event trigger to determine what the last letter of the text/paragraph is. If I can limit this much, I can probably use the typing sound correctly as I need.

Probably a fault on my end. Maybe I should have re-worded this a little differently then what I wanted.

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah. Can't you do a condition that compares the textblitter string length to the "Text" string length?

So in that same condition that is displaying the characters one by one, you'd include the play sound, and then you'd add an extra condition like:

Len(Text$("Text Blitter")) < Len(String$("Text"))

So it keeps adding characters and playing sounds until the text blitter text is the same as the string text.

edit: I just realized you wouldn't even need to include the Len() stuff since it would just compare the text blitter string to your text string anyway... so that is all you really need to do. As long as the text blitter string is different from the actual text string, keep adding characters and playing sounds.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Konidias
    Ah. Can't you do a condition that compares the textblitter string length to the "Text" string length?

So in that same condition that is displaying the characters one by one, you'd include the play sound, and then you'd add an extra condition like:

Len(Text$("Text Blitter")) < Len(String$("Text"))

So it keeps adding characters and playing sounds until the text blitter text is the same as the string text.

edit: I just realized you wouldn't even need to include the Len() stuff since it would just compare the text blitter string to your text string anyway... so that is all you really need to do. As long as the text blitter string is different from the actual text string, keep adding characters and playing sounds.
    Only one problem. I don't see anywhere to add a condition for Len(Text$("Text Blitter")) < Len(String$("Text")), or Text$("Text Blitter") < String$("Text"). I'll keep looking, I guess. :-/

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compare two general values?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I tried that, I didn't get the results I wanted.
    When I added the condition (even with, & without the Len() part), it just showed the entire paragraph. Maybe I did the conditions wrong, I'm not sure. :-/

Maybe, if there was a way I could set a counter to the current/total # of characters used in a paragraph/string, and a counter to determine the # of characters displayed when typing, I could probably get it working from there.

EDIT 1: Wait, I think it had to do with the text being in my Text Blitter. I cleared the text I had in the Text Blitter object, leaving the string object for the text blitter object to type.

EDIT 2: Yup that was the problem. It seems to work now.
    However, the sound plays whenever I have a return, or break line. Do I need to compare the current # of the Text$ in Text Blitter to find out what # the breaks are, and limit it to not play the sound when that # hits those breaks?

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe post up the mfa or just the part of the mfa that is giving you problems. This sounds like a really easy fix but it is getting lost in translation on the forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast