User Tag List

Thread: How the #@#$! do I see allocations and live bytes in xcode 4.2??

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How the #@#$! do I see allocations and live bytes in xcode 4.2??

At first I was testing my game on the computer only. Going fine with whatever version of xcode I had downloaded (3 something). But then to get my game running on my ios5 device, I had to upgrade to xcode 4.2. The "Run with Performance tool" option has vanished. I opened up 'instruments' separately, but I can't seem to get any sort of live read of what's going on. I can't find any logical information about it in xcode's help, and my searches haven't turned up anything.

I went from one game with this engine to another, and this one's running much slower. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the problem is.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. They've moved it but apparently didn't change the help. It's now under Product - Profiles. Then a popup menu appears.

But now I have an all new problem. This game is using around 9mb - 10mb. The other used about 8.5mb. And yet this ran much slower.

Except!: When I first selected product-profiles, I didn't see the popup, and I still had my actual ipod selected as the device. The game started running, almost at full speed. I then tried again while using the allocations tool. Slow as before. Back the other way. . . faster! What the hell?!

I then tested using the simulated device. I tried a simulated iphone with ios5. It froze up. Then I tried with the default 4.2. It started off extremely slow. Taking 20 seconds or so to respond to my first click. But it gradually sped up and began running at full speed. All while my live bytes were telling me I was using around 9mb.

As of now the game is running almost 100% full speed. I'm wondering how much of that has to do with the 'output' method, due to my recent experience. What exactly is the difference between 'run for testing' and 'run for running' and those sorts of options? And has anyone experienced a sort of 'warm up' period? Where the game runs very slowly but after running it a few times it picks up?