Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Possibly Bad News For Flash

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly Bad News For Flash

I don't know if anyone has been following this story recently but Adobe is going to drop Flash Player support for mobile browsers. Basically for mobile they now plan to focus more on Adobe AIR as the main app platform instead. The other bad news is Adobe is buying into HTML5 hype also and plans to focus on it more.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ash-focus.html

Don't think this means flash is ending though as the player will still be available for mobile devices however only with bug fix updates. Why is it bad news then and what will probably happen with this choice?

The main thing is the fact that the mobile market for flash was growing, after ipad decided not to support it some tablets marketed the products they make on the fact they support flash yet now what could have been a huge audience for flash games will go down a great amount.

Also just look at the reply's adobe have got back on that blog post from current AS3/flash developers, while some are in favor of them focusing on html5 most are now angry and worried about the future of the flash platform. That alone means some developers might stop working with flash and now people that might have developed with flash so they could have apps on mobile devices will choose other platforms instead.

They claim to still have strong focus on flash for the PC platform for gaming and media but usually when company's make annoying decisions like this and annoy many of their developers then people could now start to avoid flash in general so maybe the end of flash a few years down the line.

I found it to be quite surprising news as they have recently launched the new flash player with high quality GPU based APIs for console quality 3D gaming etc which ensured flash would be around for a lot longer yet now that might change as a lot of tech blogs are marking this as the end of flash but that discussions been around since HTML5 arrived so i guess we will have to wait and see if this changes things much.

There will still be PC support and the mobile market for a while still though so it's not all bad news but hopefully developers reactions to this will make adobe re-think this move yet it seems for mobile things will probably move to AIR instead now, MMF2 could still have a AIR exporter however.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my view, they (Adobe) acknowledge the fact that Flash won't be able to compete with HTML5 especially on mobile where Flash has suffered from performance issues. Major things are starting to happen right now like Windows 8 release which already has a limited Flash support only. The future will be cross-platform driven by HTML5, and this will affect drastically also the existing mobile application platforms like iOS, Android and Windows Phone. Question: how will HTML5 affect MMF?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK
    In my view, they (Adobe) acknowledge the fact that Flash won't be able to compete with HTML5 especially on mobile where Flash has suffered from performance issues.
    Yeah, because HTML5 is really fast on mobiles.

It looks like if you're trying to develop for iOS or Android today, you pretty much have to develop native applications (be it directly with something like MMF2).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This means MMF2 definitley needs a HTML5 runtime ! )

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, Adobe is giving up on trying to port Flash to every mobile device configuration, because in the end they're spread too thin and losing money on it. Also, the platform has conquered 2D for the time being, so they've shifted focus to 3D and hardware acceleration, which there's no point in trying to get working on a mobile device right now. Flash is long from dead, as most web browsers still can't fully handle HTML5, it's too slow on mobile, and there are no designer-friendly tools to create HTML5 (though Adobe is working on remedying this, I'm sure). Bottom line is Flash is still the best choice for easy development and capturing the largest user base, especially for games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daidy View Post
    This means MMF2 definitley needs a HTML5 runtime ! )
    We tried once - it's just that canvas is far, far too slow (even on the desktop). I've yet to see any HTML5 game (proper game with scrolling etc) that can run in anything other than Chrome at an acceptable frame rate.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    We tried once - it's just that canvas is far, far too slow (even on the desktop). I've yet to see any HTML5 game (proper game with scrolling etc) that can run in anything other than Chrome at an acceptable frame rate.
    I agree, the end user experience hasn't caught up with the hype of HTML5 yet, it'll be a while alas. Speaking as a web designer, I think that it will be a long time before HTML5 is ubiquitous - there are so many people still using IE5 or 6 who don't know how to or have no intention of upgrading, let alone those who cannot for whatever reason (company IT policy etc.) Ugh!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on, that's not true. I can't remember when I last someone using IE6. Many web developers today ignores trying to make their websites compatible with IE6, and that includes many major sites.

I agree with that things move slowly though.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would tend to agree with you both Simon and Nifflas but you are laying it out in the wrong context. Most Intermediate/Advanced users are still using IE6 as opposed to those who are 'forced' to use IE8+ by default installations on Vista and Win7.

Flash is still a transparent window to those consumers who do play online games, I would hazard a guess that 50-70% of online flash gamers don't actually know what flash is, apart from a 'browser based game' they're playing. I personally think HTML5 has a long way to go to be recognised as a standard but I also think a runtime is certainly needed. The SWF/Android/iOS exporters have been a god-send enabling us to cross platform our games with an already fantastic and streamlined product (MMF2). I would like to even go as far as saying I wouldn't mind MMF3 development going on the backburner to see if we could get a HTML5 runtime out and be a few steps ahead rather than behind asin previous exporters.

I did recall seeing somewhere though support for a HTML5 runtime would only probably be in the pipeline for MMF3 and that answer probably stems from Jamie's output on the initial testing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE6 is definitely still around. At the last place I worked 11% of our customer base was still on IE6 (yes, in 2011!), mainly due to government IT policies. Our rule was, the web app had to *work* in IE6, but it didn't have to look pretty. Unfortunately, even IE8 has a complete lack of canvas, and you can't run IE9 in XP, so HTML5 will not be a viable Flash replacement for another 2-5 years, longer if they can't improve the speed and development issues. It will just be what it is now, a "fallback" for iOS and not much else. At least designers are finally moving away from using Flash for mundane things and using Jquery and CSS3 instead. Flash isn't going away, it's just finally being taken for what it is, a serious multimedia technology and not a toy for buttons and slideshows.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast