User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommend File Sizes for under production Flash Game

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Recommend File Sizes for under production Flash Game

I am preparing my first major Flash game and need a few recommendations. The major consideration is the resulting .swf size after the build. I also noted a forum member had an issue with file types and sizes, tried to reduce the images from .jpg to .png, but still had a heavy megabyte .mfa and .swf.

My screen size is planned 16:9 ration as per sites guidelines-640 x 360. The images will be .png.

What is the smallest file size I can use to keep a quality background image in a game?

What is the smallest video file size I can use?

What is the smallest .gif file size I can use if it will be full screen? (I have an image to .gif producer that creates a .gif out of imported images). I am doing this so a few frames of stop motion can be done (32 frames for entire .gif vs 30 frames a second per video).

Smallest file size I can make the actives (imported images into game, like characters or objects).

Thanks.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just me talking, but:

About the swf file size: The cost of using MMF is that the size of the swf will balloon quickly. One reason is that it uses a ton of bitmaps instead of vectors. Another may be that it might include a ton of unused classes. I noticed this when decompiling my games. I don't know if this is absolutely true but there is definitely a large file size difference between swfs I made in the Flash program and swfs made using MMF.

About smallest possible file sizes: this is sort of a loaded question that can't easily be answered. Obviously a smaller image will be smaller in size, but it won't be very useful. You could try reducing colors, don't know for sure if that would help.

Assuming MMF passes along optimization of imported pngs, you can try to reduce the file size by using PNGOUT by Ken Silveman. Here's the link
    http://advsys.net/ken/utils.htm

About the smallest video size: reducing the bit rate will make the flv files smaller, but quality drops like a stone. You'll have to experiment for the results you want, but from what I found, it has to be reasonably high.

You mentioned about going full screen. I don't think the flash exporter for MMF allows full screen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47oooo View Post
    You mentioned about going full screen. I don't think the flash exporter for MMF allows full screen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Fullscreen works fine with the exporter.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By full screen for the .gif animation I meant the screen size 640 x 360 16:9. Sorry for not making it more clear.

Many thanks.

RG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Fullscreen works fine with the exporter.
    It's not my intention to hijack this thread, but could you describe how to use fullscreen then? When I try to use it, I get this error in the log:

Incompatibility report

*** Error detected in frame events.
    Frame name : Frame 1
    Line #1, action #1 : Full Screen Mode

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you are using the most up-to-date build of the flash exporter. Upgrading MMF2 to the latest beta in the owner's lounge forum should do it.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MMF does not use a "ton" of unused classes. The conditions, actions and expressions are restricted to the minimum.
    All the rest is code that is actually used.
    The memory overhead of the runtime itself is limited : only 350Kb!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    MMF does not use a "ton" of unused classes.
    Good to know.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always under the impression that MMF converted images to its own format (256 color bmp?), even for swf. This means that any optimizations you do before importing graphics is not going to help improve file size. Unless this point is rendered moot by storing images externally? Can anyone in Clickteam confirm this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MMF2 stores images in its own format, but the format is similar to png. That is, large, solid areas of colour will net the smallest filesize. PNG compresses nicely, but JPEG, due to the artefacts, can result in a much larger filesize since MMF can't compress it near as much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast