Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Organizing Frames?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Organizing Frames?

Hey guys, i've been on a LONG hiatus (yet again! ) and i was looking at how cluttered my frames look...is there a way to drop the frames in the folder similar to how folders are made within frames? As it is now i do have things fairly organized (e.g. Prologue 1-1, Prologue 1-2, etc) but i would just like to hide away the frames i had.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but ideally, you would not have every single level in your game as a separate frame (this means you have to copy and paste code over and over to make small changes or you have to deal with global events). Normally, you have some level format and just load levels from files in the same frame via restarting and keeping track of which level the player is on.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As LB stated, this is why level editors are important. That way you only need at most 5 frames. For example, my game only has 5 frames.

Frame 1 = Phase screen(logos,intro, title screen)
    Frame 2 = Loading screen ( Loads arrays/global data)
    Frame 3 = Stage Select (global value determines what level to load)
    Frame 4 = Levels (main engine/external levels loaded,cutscenes)
    Frame 5 = Pause screen (sub-app)

But if you really do need to have more than 20+ frames, then adding tags to them like [PROLOGUE], [LEVEL], [CUTSCENE], would be the only method I can think of. Just be aware that if you plan on creating a game with a complex engine then you'll definitely want to load levels in 1 frame. I had a bad experience when I had a large engine with over 30 frames. I'd constantly make changes and it became a pain to re-paste them all the frames. That's not to mention that you also need the same objects in ALL the frames or events will get screwy.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are level editors that important if the game won't have it open as an option to the players to begin with? Sure it may cut down on # of frames. But if you code it, but don't even let everyone use it, it's kind of a waste of time to build. The way I see it is to use global values, global objects on the frames that contain different levels. If a level editor is required for whatever work you are trying to accomplish, maybe it should be available to the players as well?

Just a thought. :-/

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all 'real' games are made with level editors.. if you make a basic flexible one to start with.. you can get a lot of mileage out of it.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is far easier to make a simple level editor than it is to do it all in MMF. Nifflas makes level editors for all of his games now. You don't have to release it publicly. The editor is for your sake. Not to mention you can reuse it in future games.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will definitely be switching to a level editor set-up for my next big project. Core of Innocence is over 270 frames and it's quite the pain in the arse to fix any bugs that many times...

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Optimisation is KEY to success and Rapid Development. Build the engine, build the level editor and bam, you have yourself a complete product. The level editor is not about 'releasing it to the public' for them to develop maps themselves (even though you could if you wanted) but the sole purpose is to develop maps/levels at a rapid speed increasing overall speed of production for the game.

Also, by having two separate applications (Engine/Editor) 1,2,100,1000 changes would only need to be coded into 1 frame and not 1000, plus you wouldn't have to test all those 1000 frames to test the changes, just the one... by loading an external level.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently started making level editors, and I can confirm it's a lot better for games with many levels. Now I don't have to use global events for the game engine: I can have it in one frame, with the advantage to be able to use Qualifiers and to use the Event List Editor.
    Anyway, for little games with just few levels, using one Frame for every level isn't that bad.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips and comments guys i've been debating actually using single frames per stage for quite a while now actually. It just seems to be more of a benefit once you have all the kinks worked out with coding and such, plus like mentioned you wouldnt need all the additional values/copy-paste etc. im still kinda on the rocks about it lmao. I actually have been just in brackets what the frame is linked to like prologue 1-1, prologue 1-2, etc but it does get cluttered REALLY quick and the main 2 issues im worried about are mixing in code (just human error on my part lol) and game speed, just because i assume that if you end up with 270+ frames like Chaos mentioned it may slow the gameplay down a notch. Not speaking from experience as i havent tried it yet but im at a point with my game to where if that may be a better or simpler solution then im gonna go ahead and jump on it early. I have "debug rooms" which act like a level editor just for my enemies, characters, etc and just copy and paste the code along with the character that has behavior events in my frames and it works fantastic! Sorry to drag this out guys, got on a rant! lol thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast