I'm wanting to create a procedurally generated map for a 2d RTS, and really haven't been able to wrap my head around how to possibly do it. Could you guys give me any tips on how to go about doing it, or just a link to some information on it?

I did take a stab at it before posting this, and what I'm trying to do is split the map into even regions of 64 16x16 tiles, with 9, 16, or 25 regions per map. Then, check whether a player starts out there, assign the region an appropriate biome, and place the tiles down semi-randomly based on the biome. Of course, because the regions are square, I'd have to take into account what it's neighboring regions' biomes are, and try to match them up neatly.

That's what I'm trying to do anyway. I gave up before making too much progress on it, because I really don't know how well it'll turn out, and I don't want to put time into inventing something from scratch that's already commonly used all over the place. lol

Anyway, how far off am I, and what would the easiest way to go about doing this be?