User Tag List

Thread: MMF2 Breakable Objects?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMF2 Breakable Objects?

I am trying to recreate breakable objects, kinda like crates and barrels and such that you break in Final Fight. (I know you have to have all the required animations for the sprites) What is the best way to input breakable items (like crates or such) in the Event Editor? Is it better to make them Platform objects so that the character interacts with them? Like I have a crate that the character can jump on, but I want if he attacks it then breaks and maybe a item appears. I tried to make the crate an active object but the character runs through it. (I don't know if it's because i'm using layers or if because you have to code the object to be interactive with your character in the Event Editor. Can someone direct me in the right direction with how this is suppose to be set up in the Event Editor? Please be specific as possible so that I can learn....thanks for everyone's help!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Qualifiers for things like this. Qualifiers are sort of like catagories of objects that you can apply events to. This way you can code basic behaviour for level objects once, and every time you create a new object that you want to the player to interact with in the same ways as previous ones you just add the qualifier to it. No new events necessary.

In the item's properties under the Events tab you'll find all the qualifiers the object currently has (none by default). You can add and remove qualifiers here. Once any object in the frame has a qualifier, that qualifier appears in the event editor to be coded with like any other object.

What does this mean for breakables? Well you can add all the items that you want to be breakable to, say, the Breakable qualifier (fitting!). Then in the event editor set up some basic events like:

Player collides with Breakable:
    Stop player (or whatever method you have for stopping the player, depends on if you're using default movements or some kind of custom movement)

Bullet collides with Breakable:
    Destroy bullet
    Create powerup at position of Breakable
    Destroy Breakable

And so on. So you might begin with like, a crate looking object, these events will work for that. Then you might add a barrel looking object. All you have to do is add Breakable to the barrel's qualifiers and the same events will work for the barrel as well.

Okay that was really long winded, hopefully that puts you on the right track.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastrop0d View Post
    I use Qualifiers for things like this. Qualifiers are sort of like catagories of objects that you can apply events to. This way you can code basic behaviour for level objects once, and every time you create a new object that you want to the player to interact with in the same ways as previous ones you just add the qualifier to it. No new events necessary.

In the item's properties under the Events tab you'll find all the qualifiers the object currently has (none by default). You can add and remove qualifiers here. Once any object in the frame has a qualifier, that qualifier appears in the event editor to be coded with like any other object.

What does this mean for breakables? Well you can add all the items that you want to be breakable to, say, the Breakable qualifier (fitting!). Then in the event editor set up some basic events like:

Stop player (or whatever method you have for stopping the player, depends on if you're using default movements or some kind of custom movement)

Destroy bullet
    Destroy Breakable

And so on. So you might begin with like, a crate looking object, these events will work for that. Then you might add a barrel looking object. All you have to do is add Breakable to the barrel's qualifiers and the same events will work for the barrel as well.

It's cool dude! Thanks for your help. I will post a vid of my progress when I get it working!

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Destroy bullet
    Destroy Breakable

Do you have a mfa example I could look at?

Clicker Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the crates have to be an active object obviously... You just need to make it so the player or whatever objects can interact with them, in terms of collisions.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Destroy bullet
    Destroy Breakable

Fixed, thanks for your advice!