User Tag List

Thread: Problem with saving/loading an NVO array file from the Named Variable object?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Problem with saving/loading an NVO array file from the Named Variable object?

Hey, folks!

I have been trying to save an encrypted NVO array from one instance of a Named Variable object, then load it into another MMF2 application (which has been dragged-and-dropped from one application to the other). Whenever I use an encrypted NVO array, it seems that the two Named Variable object instances do not transfer the encrypted NVO array properly, in that the data does not load into the second Named Variable object. If I use an unencrypted NVO array, there is no problem. However, my application design specifications require that the NVO file be encrypted (in some fashion), as it contains user-entered password information.

When I set up the action to save the Named Variable object array as an encrypted NVO file and it requests the encryption key, I type in a string which would be used for the encryption key. Then, in the Named Variable object which is to load the encrypted NVO file, I type in the same string as the decryption key.

Am I using this action incorrectly? Or is there a problem in how the Named Variable object saves/loads an encrypted NVO array?

As always, thank you for your help in advance!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi RGBreality,
    The cypher key used to crypt and decrypt must be same in NVO, it's exact.
    Are you using the last NVO? Did you tried to check with another cypher key?
    ouly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, ouly! Thanks for your reply!

I am using the same string as the encryption key to both encrypt and decrypt the NVO file. I also use the Named Variable object's condition "File is Saved" to ensure the NVO file is saved before I call the other Named Variable object to open the encrypted NVO file.

I did find a work-around, whereby I used the Blowfish object to encrypt/decrypt the unencrypted NVO file. It's not an ideal design as it not only requires another object specifically for encryption/decryption, there is a brief period of time when the NVO is unencrypted so the Named Variable objects can pass the NVO file to one another; once the NVO file has been loaded, then the Blowfish object will encrypt the NVO file. I would, therefore, prefer using only the Named Variable object to encrypt/decrypt the NVO file, but if I can't find another solution, this will suffice.

Thanks again for your reply!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To check if the file is saved, "Done saving" should be used and not "File is saving". "Done saving" is a true event (red in event list). Could you check which condition is used in your application?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, ouly!

Indeed, I had used the "Done saving" condition. (I was writing my last reply from the top of my head and wrote the incorrect condition.) And it was the only condition in that event, so it was in red text (implying it was first evaluated in that event).

I had it set up like this:

APPLICATION 1:
    Event 1: When preparing to exit the application, the Named Variable object saves an encrypted NVO file using string "abc" as the encryption key and not using is own processing thread.
    Event 2: When Named Variable object is "done saving," launch the second MMF2 application, then exit the first MMF2 application.

APPLICATION 2:
    Event 1: Start of Frame, if the NVO file exists, then open the encrypted NVO file using string "abc" and not in its own processing thread.
    Event 2: When Named Variable object is "done loading," then proceed with other events.

When using an unencrypted NVO file, this worked fine. But when using an encrypted NVO file, the second MMF2 application wasn't properly reading the encrypted NVO file.

Now, using the Blowfish object, it functions like this:

APPLICATION 1:
    Event 1: When getting ready to exit, Named Variable object saves an unencrypted NVO file while not using its own processing thread.
    Event 2: The Blowfish object creates a new encryption key using the string "abc".
    Event 3: When Named Variable object is "done saving," then the Blowfish object encrypts the NVO file using the string "abc".
    Event 4: When the Blowfish object is "done encrypting/decrypting a file," launch the second MMF2 application, then exit the first MMF2 application.

APPLICATION 2:
    Event 1: Start of Frame, if the NVO file exists, then create an encryption key using the string "abc," then decrypt the NVO file.
    Event 2: When the Blowfish object is done "encrypting/decrypting a file," then the Named Variable object loads the NVO file.
    Event 3: When the Named Variable object is "done loading," then the Blowfish object encrypts the NVO file using the string "abc".

This design works, though it is more cumbersome, requires an additional object, and leaves the NVO file unencrypted for a brief period of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi RGBReality,
    I don't see why it doesn't work. I set up something similar and it works fine on my side. Could you post an MFA?
    There were some problems with encryption in older NVO. Are you using the last NVO?

ouly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, ouly!

I'm afraid my MFA file is too large to upload here or to MFA Repository. (It's about 7 MB large.)

Can you refer me to the latest Named Variable object build? How would I know whether I'm using the more current build? I thought there was only one version available (version 1.0)? I installed it from the first bonus pack.

Perhaps, if you could, you might placed your Named Variable object extension into a ZIP file and post it?

Thanks again for your help!

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGBreality View Post
    I'm afraid my MFA file is too large to upload here or to MFA Repository. (It's about 7 MB large.)
    The MFA Repository allows files of up to 10 MB, you're under the limit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonus Pack 1 has been updated since first release (last update was in 2009). There is a more up to date version of NVO (1.4) that you can found on the forum but without runtime version.