User Tag List

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Number downloads for you app ?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Land continues to sell, interestingly the spike is over but it has dropped to around 120 sales a day average (at $0.99) , it's going back up to $1.99 tomorrow so we'll see how it fares then. Has had well over 2000 downloads though.

I'm adding extra levels and features through in-app purchasing soon, so I'm tempted to offer the app free for a day or two to increase the number of people the DLC will be available to...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a good idea, free games seem to fly out the door in larger numbers so you might get more IAP sales due to it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I mean Cow Boom was 69p and so simple, made about 30 sales at 69p, then when it was free it got about 2,000 overnight, so the people who grab the game while it's free will be a larger number of people for me to sell IAPs to...

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the app-store allow you to change the price as often as you like? I am intrigued by the possibility of starting out as a paid app, and then progressing to ad-supported free apps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can change the price as often as you like, yeah. Obviously you'd need to manually add your ads though, and paid customers might be upset by ads appearing in their paid game in an update... You can pre-set price-change dates too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im thinking that the best model contains the best of both worlds...

A lite version with a few levels and ads, and a pro version with more levels. I think I can keep the Apple reviewers happy if I call the pro version "Bonus levels", or something similar. This language emphasizes that the pro version has 'extra', and not that the lite version is crippled in any way...

Ideally, I would want the pro version available and ready-to-sell when the lite version is released, but it seems to be it has a better chance of surviving review if I release them in the opposite order.

I know some of you have been derailed by Apples demo rules. Is this a recurring issue for the rest of you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantJ View Post
    By the way, Cow Boom has actually scored me a bit of revenue since making it free... A few hundred people downloaded it, but it's being played a LOT by them, a few thousand ad impressions in fact, so a free app (if it didn't take you much time) can apparently be a nice bit of side-income. It's not the kind of revenue I'd accept for my bigger projects - I need to make at least the time spent on them worth in wages - but for a fun side-project like Cow Boom it's nice.
    I installed cow-boom on my ipod. Its perhaps 5 apps I have. My current in-progress golf game, and a few competitor golf games... Every week or so, I drop in on my folks to let my brothers and 5 year-old niece test my game. They all play a single round, and then exit to play cow-boom....

They usually end up fighting over the ipod to play cow boom. My mother loves it too. I have to beg them to give me more feedback on my own beta

My oldest brother used to play diablo II back in the day, and he was imfamous for being obsessed with the cow-slaying level. My parents feel that cow-boom is a good homage to that teenage era.

The secret cow level:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSlGQpvl_IA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, people do seem to enjoy Cow Boom. I need to fix the leaderboards issue to see the best scores. It's never really made me any money much, but it's nice to know people are enjoying it.

And yeah, with Apple you need to essentially show that the Free/Lite version is a game in itself, and not a 'trial' or 'demo'. The safest way is to act like the full version has 'extra' but you don't have to do it that way, as long as there's no 'disabled features' in the Lite version. If you have a mode or feature not available in the Lite version, remove the button for it, Apple will reject it if you press buttons and get a 'buy the full version for this feature' error message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm coming up to my first release, assuming my app gets accepted....

But I want to get this right, and I have maybe a week to formulate the optimal strategy. Im going to try the thursday release idea that Keith has suggested, and I am releasing at $0.99, as Im assuming that for a game as simple as mine, this is optimal.

Im wondering though if starting the release at the free pricepoint might be better. It seems to me that I might as well exploit my time on the charts as long as possible. Maybe keeping it free for the first day might accumulate a critical mass of users that will help promote the game. Maybe this will also get me some decent reviews at first. Are people more willing to give a 5-star review to a game that is free?

Anyone try a strategy like this before? Id like to earn back my equipment/software investment, but Im wondering if the app will earn more over the full lifetime if I take things a bit more patiently....

If a user downloads a game that is free, but you later give it a price, do those first users still get to keep their copy of the game? I want to avoid frustrating people.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about the same thing, releasing free to build up users. I'm definitely not doing it with my first release though. In answer to your Qs:

Expect substantially lower scores on free apps. People are not forgiving. People with no interest in your app will download it just because it's free, then give you a crappy review. If someone pays for something, they will put more time into enjoying it, and possibly get more out of it. I have a whole bunch of free apps that I've played for about a minute each.

If someone has downloaded a game, it's there's. There is no way you could retroactively control what is on someone's device. Even games that infringe copyrights and are removed from the store remain on devices.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast