Thread: iOS Development Environment Recommendations

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iOS Development Environment Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I'm primarily a Linux/PC user, and I am strong in those areas, however I have not used a Mac since they were the original Macintosh in grade school computer lab ...

I am considering obtaining a second-hand mac for xcode compiling purposes, and also some relevant lower-end iDevice to develop applications on. I think this will help me optimize my creations to perform well on the most modest platforms.

* For the computer, I see the OS requirements in the sticky thread. Should I aim for any particular hardware requirements? I would assume they are fairly minimal for compiling purposes, but what of the iphone simulator?

* For the target iDevice development platform, ideally I would like to obtain something that does not require a phone contract. Any recommendations in this regard?

For those of you who have taken the similar leap into mac-land for use with the iOS export module, what was your overall investment in new or second-hand equipment?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to make sure the computer is running Lion or Snow Leopard. I would recommend the cheapest mac mini brand new, rather than someones second hand mac unless you can get a killer difference in price.

Device wise, you don't even need a contract for ipod touch or ipad.

It is possible to get unlocked iphones that do not reqiure sims of course. I would not bother with anything lower than a 3GS. I think whatever device you get needs to be running ios 4. The latest ios is 5, so you should probably make sure whatever you get supports / is upgradeable to ios 5.

Someone else might need to confirm that the computer needs to be intel based, i cant remember.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfullerNY View Post
    Someone else might need to confirm that the computer needs to be intel based, i cant remember.

The Mac should be based on Intel processors, now I think it should also be able to run Lion OSX to run the latest Xcode 4.2

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fellas,

These are finer points I didn't realize. Glad I didn't jump and buy something!

Im tempted to lean the iPad route. I guess if I direct my artwork to look good on a full-screen, then its for the best. Are any of you testing/developing on unlocked platforms?