User Tag List

Thread: XNA and FastLoops

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XNA and FastLoops

Hi
    I read a post in Cole jefferies test report where i found this
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    XNA is slower than c++ runtime, specially for fast loops...
    Since there is no ForeEach for XNA build i am having to use FastLoops instead. This is the next and last thing i need to do before i test it on the Xbox.

What does this mean? ( above quote )
    Will my application run notacibly slower as a XNA build/ Xbox?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm not entirely sure on the technicalities of using FastLoops, I can only attest to my experience thus far. That said, I have a game I am working on with a lot of FastLoops that seems to run pretty well.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my personal experience, it seems that the XNA Windows runtime is very slow, but the XBox runtime is very fast. So you shouldn't have any problem, because if you want to deploy your game for Windows, you use the C++ runtime.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any problems with them on xbox either so far.

The slowdown that I experienced in my thread was caused by conditions that compared to an ini value, it slowed my game down to a crawl. It's easy to work around though as you can just load the data into counters and compare to them instead

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Clickteam used the XNA standards then the XNA Windows runtime shouldn't be slow, both that and the XBox runtime should be fast but with the XBox it probably seems much faster due to the GPU/HWA it has. XNA was made to work really well with Xbox and be ultra fast when using it's technology but for the same thing with a PC you might need to have a fairly decent computer and graphics card.

Then again for regular MMF2 events it could just be the objects/code used also but no doubt if there is slowdown/problems due to the current code used it will hopefully be improved in the future.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told my slowdown issues were due to number of events (~1200 lines). But I have had buggy results where one branch of the exact same code ran at 50fps and another branch of my code ran at about 5fps. The branches were simple save as variants of the exact same project file with some objects modified. Eventually I manually adjusted the slower branch file to be identical to the faster one and it still didn't speed up. I chalked it up to something internally getting corrupted, but when I sent it to Clickteam, they couldn't determine what caused the slowdown. They also couldn't get the branch file that ran at 50fps (for me) to run at 50fps for them. One thing I tested was removing all fastloops and it didn't affect my fps issues at all. And I have quite a few of them.

I find the biggest issue with the exporter is how it handles image loading. I have almost a thousand individual image files and it means my game frame takes almost 5 minutes to load when running in xna connect. I wish images were processed into sprite sheets or MMF would give us the ability to preload data. Once the frame is loaded, it reloads instantly on future replays of the frame.

Hopefully some of these things will be worked out by release.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think we will add sprite sheets in a future version, but not for the first release version.
    It would be good though.