Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Framerate issues

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Framerate issues

I've been having some weird problems with FPS when running on different devices. Previously, using the very first version of the iOS exporter my project ran at 60fps on iPhone 4's, iPod Touch 4th gens and iPad 1's (and everything better). Now, on my 4S is get perfect 60fps constantly, but on my friend's iPhone 4 I get some strage variation between 30 and 50fps, it never remains constant, it will be at 30fps for 1 second then 45 fps for 2 seconds then back to 30 for 5 seconds etc. I feel like there must be something obvious I'm missing since it used to work fine, I'm doing all the normal collision optimisation etc. I can't upload an example file for this since it's pretty huge (I might be able to pull one frame out later).

However, I do have two other example files that were just quick mockups of game ideas that run at 60fps on mine but only 30 on my friend's. There is NOTHING intensive about these, one doesn't even scroll or have collision detection yet. So I'd appreciate it if people could tell me how it fairs on their devices and if possible help me find out what's wrong with them.

Example 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?udpk2gtbgdax790
    Example 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?v4rxkwgqu71sppa

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Benicle!
    Ok first: some stylish games you are having there. I really like this kind of art.
    I got an iphone 4 16gb both games run smoth but with - as you said - 30 fps
    its a bit slower than in the pc version, but if YOU DONT KNOW the pc version
    i think it runs iphone like smooth.
    So yes - its 30 fps but fluent.
    I have the same problem with a very simple game of mine and i have not found
    a solution yet (there´s not much in my games either - gfx or sound).

Jot

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you enabled VSync?

If you're worried about slowdown, enable timer-based movements for any built in movements you're using, and search for the thread called 'keeping things moving' and see if you can use that method to your advantage for your static movements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried VSync, not much difference. I don't mind doing the maths with the framerate to keep things at a constant rate etc but I just find it hard to understand why the two files I uploaded run slowly. Especially when with older versions of the exporter I seemed to get much better performance?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if this is like my current problem, my game used to lock at 30fps but now it will go up and down depending on how much is on screen.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longshot, but perhaps you were running in Release in XCode on your old version and are still running in Debug after re-exporting your zipped project for new version? Check in XCode: Product>Edit Schemes to see if running in Debug or Release (I've noticed Debug is much slower)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AyreGuitar's right, when you're running in Release mode it is much faster...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to say that I honestly think the latest iOS update lost a lot of performance somewhere, my game used to be rock solid 30fps now it struggles like mad with vsync off, and with it on the game plays in fast forward ignoring a framerate cap which is damn annoying after spending about 4 months on a project.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give it time, they'll sort it out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If anything, the runtime is faster. We have accelerated a lot collision detection. Several users have reported that their applications were running much faster with the latest version.
    I have to check with Andos, but we did not add/change anything that might slow things down.
    Yes, are you in release or debug mode?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast