User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Java Dead?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Java Dead?

I would like to hear what the forum members think. I don't think it is dead.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if not dead, it's definitely not a high priority.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a lot of things saying that C++ is dead and that Java is the future, and, conversely, I;ve seen a lot of things claiming Java is dead leaving us to fall back on C++. I'd say Java is certainly more used than C++ because of its 'beginner friendliness' and C++'s feeling of low level thrown in with high level stuff, but all in all I think people overreact when they say a language/platform is dead. Java is being taught in many schools now where it used to be C++, and I don't think it'll change for a few years. [/opinions&observations]
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does everything have to be black and white?

Our Java runtime isn't very popular, mostly due to Java as a platform not being very useful compared to something like Flash or iOS. That doesn't mean "Java is dead" or whatever (what is it with the tech community these days and having to be sensationalist about everything?)

(oh, a third thread about this, exactly what we needed...)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    From the feedback I get - I personally never hear from any forum users using the Java export modules and I get a lot of email and messages

so either:
    Its so great it doesn't need any work done on it right now
    or
    No one is using it
    or
    No one is talking to me about it -- which could be possible but would be odd as as I said above .. I get a lot of email and messages

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MMF2 is a game authoring tool.
    Right now Java doesn't look like a viable gaming platform in the long run. Games get more and more demanding and we therefore have to push functionality like HWA and heavily optimized C++ code to keep up with the demands. Java isn't up for that any longer I'm afraid.

A java runtime has it's uses for simple things (like if you want to make a MMF2 made chat application or a super simple platformer).
    Especially J2ME (Java mobile) will suffer from this. You might be able to do some few things well, but not more than that.
    Having such a reduced (practical) feature set you get a lot of confused users: "Why can't this runtime do X and Y when the other runtimes can?"

IMHO it is best to focus primarily where the long-term development is. Spending too much time on unpractical technologies will just slow down development on everything else - which hurts everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Java is great and the platform has always been strong, however regarding MMF2's runtime it's not as popular as others for some people and probably due to not as many extensions and the fact a lot of people want to monetize games and you don't have that much for Java. I think the runtime is great though and it's nice having the option to code extensions in java, i am also hoping there will be a Java runtime for MMF3.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am also hoping there will be a Java runtime for MMF3.
    Me too.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    I am also hoping there will be a Java runtime for MMF3.
    Likewise. Java is a wide-spread, diverse language, if nothing else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    i am also hoping there will be a Java runtime for MMF3.
    me too...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast