Thread: 32 or 64 detection and File Permissions

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

32 or 64 detection and File Permissions

Hi,

I need to install some files into a specific folder on 32-bit Windows or into a different folder if it's a 64-bit. How can I detect this with Install Creator and direct the files accordingly? Does it require the Pro version of Install Creator (if so, then it's worth upgrading for this alone)?

On a related subject, I'm also having problems with an installer created on XP when it's running in Win 7 - the file permissions of the installed files have been changed by the installer. How can I ensure that file permission remain unchanged? Is the solution to only build on a Win 7 PC?

Thanks,

Chaim

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Install Creator has a single macro to detect 64-bit folders #Program Files (x64)#, this macro was added in a very recent build. I think it works in the standard version.

What do you mean exactly about "file permission"? Install Creator doesn't modify the permission of files.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having the same problem with file permissions. The original file gives "Full Control" to everyone, but the installed version only gives write permission to SYSTEM and Administrators. So my program won't run, since it needs to read/write certain installed files.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand, the installer doesn't copy the permissions of the original files. If it did, noone except you would be able to access/modify the files (your "administrators" group has a different SID to someone else's "administrators" group).
    The installer should give it the same permissions as its containing folder. For example, if you install to "C:\ThisDir", and that directory only has write permissions to the account "John", then the permissions for the installed files should only be write permissions for "John".

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDunning View Post
    I am having the same problem with file permissions. The original file gives "Full Control" to everyone, but the installed version only gives write permission to SYSTEM and Administrators. So my program won't run, since it needs to read/write certain installed files.
    Do you install your files to the Program Files directory? This directory is protected by the UAC (under Windows Vista and Seven).