User Tag List

Thread: Touch based platformer (no on-screen buttons) Has this been done before?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Touch based platformer (no on-screen buttons) Has this been done before?

I'm getting ready to upgrade to the IOS exporter, and while putting touch control in a little game of mine, I had the thought about how to do a completely touch based platformer. I know there's plenty of games with on-screen buttons, but I was wondering if there have been any IOS platform games made that don't use the simulated control pad method, and how well they worked.

I'm thinking something along the lines of touching the screen and testing the touch points position relative to the player; something like: touch to the left of the player, and the player moves to that point. Touch above the player, and the player jumps. touch an enemy and the player attacks in that direction.

Has this been done before / any thoughts?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2iOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I'm getting ready to upgrade to the IOS exporter, and while putting touch control in a little game of mine, I had the thought about how to do a completely touch based platformer. I know there's plenty of games with on-screen buttons, but I was wondering if there have been any IOS platform games made that don't use the simulated control pad method, and how well they worked.

I'm thinking something along the lines of touching the screen and testing the touch points position relative to the player; something like: touch to the left of the player, and the player moves to that point. Touch above the player, and the player jumps. touch an enemy and the player attacks in that direction.

Has this been done before / any thoughts?

I don't think this has been done much before.

And I think that because that sort of control method can be risky in games. Platformers have been solidly built to have traditional and simple to access controls. Touching above the player for jumping can lead to problems like jumping on the go if your game is quite fast. However, you should give it a try. Nothing's better than a platformer with intuitive controls that pulls it off well. LostWinds taught me that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a game made a few years ago called Bounce On which was just tip the device to roll and tap anywhere to hop/jump, it's really good and still one of the best platformers on the device.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually working on one right now

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super bit dash is something like that. You just missed it going free for a day. . .

I've seen it done a couple times but nothing specific. I messed with something like that long ago, it worked ok.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try to add an optional "traditional" style of player control, some players may prefer this.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The actual 'player follows the users finger' doesn't work particularly well, you have to kind of tweak it. My project is a bit more like erm... You know the way most iOS racers have auto-accelerate and you tilt the screen to steer? Think of it as a sort of 'auto-accelerate platformer'. There are lots of games referred to as 'runners' which are essentially that but fast. You could also take a look at Run Roo Run, which is a slower 'auto-accelerate platformer' where all you do is tap the screen to jump.

I'm working on a quite unique project which takes the idea to different places, I'll keep you up to date on it if you want some inspiration.