User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Releasing a game on iOS

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Releasing a game on iOS

I think that I'm just about ready to release my first game on iOS... it's a gravity-changing puzzle sort of thing called Running Free, and you can see a recent video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpHwOQZucp0

I've been reading through the 118-page iTunes Connect Developer Guide, about the images I need to add and the process of setting it up in iTunes Connect and the Application Loader... it looks fairly straightforward if long-winded. Are there any common pitfalls that people have run into that I should watch out for - anything we need to set up in the .plist files, bundle names, and so on?

I already have one question about the list of features required by the game - does the accelerometer object use the iPhone's actual accelerometer, or the gyroscope (which would limit it to iPhone 4+?)

Thank you for any advice!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to clone the 'Release' build type and rename it to 'Distribution' for some reason. I dunno if you HAVE to but everywhere I look it always tells me to do this and it's not obvious up front... Make sure your distribution certificate is downloaded and in your keychain, and that you sign the game with it properly in the application settings to avoid frustration when validating/submitting...

I believe the accelerometer object uses the accelerometer as I have run an old accelerometer game of mine on an iPod Touch 2G

If you're releasing it as a universal app, definitely look up my iPad tips thread:
    http://community.clickteam.com/showthread.php?t=68677

There are a couple of issues with the iPad in the current iOS exporter, stuff left out which you have to fix in XCode to avoid looking unprofessional.

With everything I release, I change the 'Icon already includes gloss effects' setting in info.plist to YES, as the gloss effect Apple automatically add when this is set to no can have unwanted effects on your icon's effectiveness and I always want full control fo how my icon will look.

Make sure the icons and iTunes Artwork are consistent, they should basically be different sized versions of the same image, differences between them should be minimal as Apple sometimes reject apps for inconsistencies in the branding (they like to keep the iPhone/iPad brand strong).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks really fun! nice job!

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for those - I was hoping you'd reply, in particular That iPad thread's really useful - I've provided the extra landscape picture and I'm going for the black-borders approach in a universal application, and hoping that those are accepted.

The only thing out of the list that concerns me is the guideline about the iTunes artwork, as I use a full logo for the 512x512 icon and a very small cropped part of it for the icons (the logo would be totally unrecognizable at icon size and the stickman character would look... silly at 512x512). I'll let you know what happens once I put it all together.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Apple seem fine with black bars on the iPad, but they reject apps when there are black bars on the iPhone. I guess the consensus is that widescreen is pretty standard for a lot of media so iPad users will expect some letterboxing sometimes, whilst on iPhone it doesn't make sense to not fully use the already small screen. Nobody out of all the people playing AWESOME Land has complained about the letterboxing on iPad yet, in fact some people probably prefer the wide aspect ratio. Would be nice if we could choose the colour of the bars, your game would do well to have white bars to blend in with the background.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DavidN, I'd like to know which resolution you choose for your game? I ask that because the size of the screenshots you posted is 480x720 which is different form iPhone's resolution. Do you plan on letting the system do an upscale?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks great David. I love gravity style games, I have one nearing completion myself...different to yours though

Yes I can confirm that the accelerometer works on everything (that I have tried) which includes an iTouch 2nd gen device.
    Andy H @ ovine.net
    Awful Jokes - a new cartoon every day: http://awful.ovine.net/
    Ovine's games: http://www.ovine.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I hadn't actually realized that I was using a non-standard resolution until right this moment when I went back to check... but it seems to handle it fine!

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to know that the game is upscaled correctly. Is the upscale smooth or rather crisp? I still don't own an iDevice so I could check myself.

BTW I'm wondering what the benefits are to develop a game in a lower resolution, besides the smaller filesize (since the graphics are smaller). Does an upscaled application run faster than an application directly developed in the platform's native resolution?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can choose how you want it to upscale in the properties.

When the iOS exporter upscales or downscales a game, it won't slow it down like a PC version would as it actually scales the objects individually etc. rather than just rendering the screen and post-scaling it, so your scaling won't cause any slowdown. However obviously the lower resolution the objects, the less memory is required to load and display them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast