User Tag List

Thread: AppData directory

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AppData directory

So I did some searching and it looks as though the line to save in this folder is either AppDataDirectory$( "File" ) or AllUsersAppDataDirectory$( "File" ). So I'm wondering which is better to be using for save data? From what I understand, the first one stores the data for the current user logged on, and the second one stores it for everybody. To me it would make sense to store it for all users, but I want to make sure I'm understanding the syntax correctly.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have it right and I agree about storing it for all users.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Marv, I thought that was correct, just wanted to make sure it was doing what I thought it was doing.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally you should use the user account's application data folder. Remember that if one user creates a file in the "all users" application data folder, other users will have read-only access to it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifflas View Post
    Normally you should use the user account's application data folder. Remember that if one user creates a file in the "all users" application data folder, other users will have read-only access to it.
    Ah, ok. I was not aware of that. Thanks Nifflas!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. It's more normal for a program's setting to be specific to the current user anyway. Making settings shared between users is more an exception and should only be done when your program have a specific need for this. I only do it for game serials, since I figure "unlocking" a game should apply to all users automatically.

There are also roaming users and for the sake of them, it makes more sense to store settings to the user account's application data.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For multiple users who want to read/write to the same file I used the YASO Object's GlobalSharedDocuments$.
    Not sure, maybe this object is for MMF Dev only.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sample Ini App Data Directory File

testing_ini_appdata.mfaHere is a sample file that I used for testing to see if the file save was working.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks drnebula, I'll take a look at that.