User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there money to be made here?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there money to be made here?

OK, I hate to be this cold and commercial, but, I've been toying with getting the flash runtime for a while, but since I'm in business (I work for myself), I can't dedicate too much time to working on stuff which isn't going to pay for my time... I've made good money using the iOS exporter, not just made back what I spent on the software but also twice what I'd have made if I had worked in the time I spent making the game. I know there's Mochi ads etc. available here but I've never really had anything pay for itself with ads before, every ad service I've tried has basically given me a few pennies and thus I've wasted the time I spent on the project. As much as I'd love to do everything free just to know people are playing it, these days it's just not possible with my business. How much money is there to be made here, really? Any success (or failure) stories?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ads won't make enough to pay for your time, you'd have to go for sponsoring. Guess it's better to grow your iOS business, since you already have a good base now. Flash is completely different and requires much more than dealing with the runtime specifics and technical stuff. And if you don't find a sponsor who offers an acceptable deal, you have a problem to monetize your game. Personally, I target iOS and Windows now and keep Flash in mind. Could be a nice addition if a game allows easy conversion.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Steve Harris has had a lot of success with both - I've had one minor hit with an advert-fuelled game, but as JoKa said, the more reliable way of making money is through sponsorship. It can take a while (the recommended period is six weeks) for a game to be picked up - I wrote an article about my own experience here. http://www.clickteam.info/davidn/post.php?id=415602

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, there are 3 ways to monetize a Flash game: sponsorship, ads, in-app purchase (or a mix of these). The biggest bucks are probably to be made from a sponsor. But if you have a VERY successful game, that spreads well, then you could also make some serious money from ads + virtual goods. I think that the success of a game depends on a lot of factors, some of which the developer does not control.
    My most successful game, a puzzle game called My Shapes, made me about 1,000 USD with MochiAds alone in about 2 years. Today I still earn about 1.5 USD/day with that game. I didn't push it too hard, but at the beginning it got picked by a few bigger websites, and then smaller websites pick it up etc.. Of course this is not enough to live off of. Or maybe it is, if you release enough games and each of them have a long lifetime.

If you want to learn more about the Flash games market & sponsorship, I suggest you to read the whole FGLopedia at flashgamelicense.com.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virtual goods would require quite some extra work to offer a reliable service. Using Mochicoins only may be too limited. Impressive numbers for My Shapes, I'm happy if I get a single Dollar with 19 games on Mochi. I don't think all of them are crap. But simply pumping out games is no warranty for success

The Flash market is so hard to predict and on other platforms you have more options for marketing.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Dress Up Game is Doing Okay...

I managed to get 150,000 hits on my dress up game over a three day period, but I only made $20.00 so far with mochiads. Some sponsor in China picked it up at mochiads and my stats started going crazy!

The problem is that all of my links are getting blocked by the sites. I don't know how to get around that...

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently licensed a (currently unreleased) Flash game to a big Flash portal for $3500. For a game that took four weeks to make, it was a bit of a surprise success. I'm going to do a full write up of my experience soon, if you're interested. It's certainly possible to make money, but it all comes down to quality.
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDoo View Post
    I recently licensed a (currently unreleased) Flash game to a big Flash portal for $3500. For a game that took four weeks to make, it was a bit of a surprise success. I'm going to do a full write up of my experience soon, if you're interested. It's certainly possible to make money, but it all comes down to quality.
    I'd read it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, everyone loves success stories

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold 6 games over at FGL beyond, I made over 3500 dollar for small games, never had a big hit but it's fun to go through the whole bidding thing, always hoping for a bigger bid.
    Glad to help you out when you have the exporter with anything DistantJ!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast