User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is there money to be made here?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made a decent amount of money for a hobby from both MochiAds and sponsorship licenses, but business-wise, if I evaluate it purely just from a business point of view and calculate the total investment with opportunity costs, I've made loss with almost every game.

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    I've made a decent amount of money for a hobby from both MochiAds and sponsorship licenses, but business-wise, if I evaluate it purely just from a business point of view and calculate the total investment with opportunity costs, I've made loss with almost every game.
    Could you go into that a little more, where do the losses come from? Does it not work out to a good hourly wage, or are there other expenses?
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDoo View Post
    Could you go into that a little more, where do the losses come from? Does it not work out to a good hourly wage, or are there other expenses?
    Well, basically the earnings per invested hour is lower than the opportunity cost for the same time, which results in financial loss. So yes, the hourly wage has not been on a level that would justify this activity for me personally from a business perspective. Of course it might change in the future if I start making better games or similar games more efficiently.

One game has been pretty good, though. I used 3 hours in total to make and release the game, and it has generated a few hundreds. So that's clearly "green" on my dashboard.

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. All but my last project haven't been properly worth my time for the money, but that last project makes up for the previous ones. Of course, for me, I'm simply using game development to pay my way through Uni, rather than making something I can live off. But if I can scale that up, then great, I'll have a great job, but until then, making games rather than working in a supermarket makes it worth it.

Plus, I just really like making games.
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made a good amount of income from using this runtime, but not through ads or a standard Flash type use. I use the runtime to export to Flash and then use the BlackBerry Playbook SDK to wrap it into a .bar file for sale at the BlackBerry App World. Since the next gen BlackBerrys will all run their new OS it will in turn, be easy to port to them as well. Just another option.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats neat! Could you perhaps write a tutorial on how to port to Blackberry? I never would have thought you could translate it like that.,,,

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTownTony View Post
    I've made a good amount of income from using this runtime, but not through ads or a standard Flash type use. I use the runtime to export to Flash and then use the BlackBerry Playbook SDK to wrap it into a .bar file for sale at the BlackBerry App World. Since the next gen BlackBerrys will all run their new OS it will in turn, be easy to port to them as well. Just another option.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinase View Post
    Thats neat! Could you perhaps write a tutorial on how to port to Blackberry? I never would have thought you could translate it like that.,,,
    Ive been looking into doing this process too. All the info on how to do it is located in the support area at blackberry:
    http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...k/td-p/1080047

Its a little complicated but I managed to get my MMF2 app running on the simulator, I don't have an actually device to test on yet :/
    I wish they were still offering free ones...

Adobe Air does wonders though, its a shame that its not as integrated into other device platforms. I found that a similar process can be performed for creating android apps but it may require end users to download an additional air plugin or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2