Thread: Quick backdrop & Complex shapes

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick backdrop & Complex shapes

Hi all,

So Ive got this golf game. The playareas in it are composed of a set of a library of backdrop objects that are grassy patches in various shapes. Level design for me consisted of putting these objects in various configurations.... This works, but the strategy didn't produce much variety in the levels.

A real golf course has massive areas of green and fairway, but these would be massive backdrops that would take up the whole frame. Furthermore, each frame would need its own big backdrop, so the filesize of my game would go up.

An alternative technique would involve something like a quick backdrop with a non-square border. How can I accomplish this?

Im wondering if there is another way with shading. Is it possible to define a quick backdrop with a motif pattern, but then use some B&W image as a transparency mask to define the regions that are displayed? Im hoping this will keep the filesize of my app down. The quick backdrop would be a small image storage wise, and the B&W mask would be huge but hopefully easily compressible with only two pixel colors.

Either way, Im thinking performance will be terrible

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is wrong with manually tiling backdrops? Besides being tedious (this can be fixed by having several different sizes and shapes), it would do exactly what you want.

On second thought, why are you worried about a huge backdrop? The entire frame background gets converted to one massive backdrop at runtime anyway, it would make no difference besides maybe increasing the filesize a bit (but MMF2 has good compression).
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I didn't realize that the backdrops were all assembled. This is good.

In a prior project, I made some fairly complex shapes by using high-noise grass textures in a backdrop object that was circular. I pasted ~30 of these together to define a curved border, but I always worried about performance. If the engine just assembles them into a single background at runtime, then I should be set.

Thanks!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    The entire frame background gets converted to one massive backdrop at runtime anyway
    I don't know which runtime you're referring to, but that certainly doesn't happen with the ones I've worked on.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I don't know which runtime you're referring to, but that certainly doesn't happen with the ones I've worked on.
    Yeah I've read posts concerning this. Someone was having a problem in Flash with frame rate and Francois mentioned using quick backdrop as opposed to repeated tiles. Pretty sure that was the situation, it was a long time ago and I could be remembering something incorrectly. So that would indicate things aren't converted to one big backdrop.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mistake - I misread something somewhere on these forums I believe.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hrmmmm,

oh well. I guess if I make a set of square and circular tiles, I could get up some respectable shape diversity if I combine them together in random ways. Maybe some future extension could implement a "shape mask" to make motif backdrops non-square.

I tried playing around with effects, specifically subtraction. It did work, however the areas surrounding the shapes were black and not transparent.