User Tag List

Thread: Why won't backdrops work for my subtracting layer?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why won't backdrops work for my subtracting layer?

Hey all. I have successfully made nicely looking flashlights and other lights in a dark environment for my game, using a layer with the subtract effect. I add black shapes to get the light spots. However, I keep thinking that large active objects used for lights will take a lot of memory, but when I create backdrop objects out of the same objects, they just won't show when in game!

How come backdrops won't work? I'm guessing there's a simple solution, but I just can't find it :P

Also, it is worth mentioning that I am using HWA (of course), and Direct3D9 display mode. I add the layer effect via events with the layer object, so that I can see the lights as black spots instead of transparent in the frame editor.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should really use the 'Multiply' effect on the layer for light effects instead - it gives the most accurate lights.
    In the layer you can use the additive effects on the light sources.

Have a look at how I use that effect in the Light and Shadow engine example here:
    http://www.andersriggelsen.dk/mmf2_examples.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, well I thought subtract worked nicely, really. It looks just the same as your example anyways (except the shadows, which I don't have the brains to do). I will still try multiply to see if it is any better.
    Still doesn't explain why backdrops won't show though, but I have a tiny suspicion that it is just me doing something very stupid, and I haven't figured out what it is yet :P

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're using HWA I don't think large actives would really affect much. I've done spotlight effects using invert on a layer and active for the spotlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good. However, it is also the number of actives I am worried about. If I am to make smoke clouds from weapons, shells, enemies, ricochet effects, explosions (with shockwaves), blood, bullets etc, in addition to using active objects for lighting, it will take a lot of memory :P

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. The more you're able to trim things down the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I do have actives as lights here and there, couldn't I use the "inactive if too far from window" option to make them not take memory when they are away from the player? How far do you have to get away from an object for it to be inactive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say that multiply looked much better than subtract. Now, the lights act like lights, and not just objects on top of each other. If several lights come in contact with each other, they kind of "fuse together" like they should. Thanks Andos Backdrops still won't work though.