User Tag List

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: Tile Map

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've moved this thread to the Ext Dev forum because the extension isn't Flash only. It just happens to support Flash. Btw, upcoming Beta soon. Because of personal reasons, this one will have no Flash though. I can't work on Flash at this workplace I'm afraid.

@JimJam

1) Yes - In fact, after discussing with some clickers, I've decided on a format: Basically, it's already there! You can just have an invisible layer, storing your collsiion tiles, and check for collision with it. That's it. Super flexible.

2) I've actually sent Yves a PM about this. I could implement this in Flash *easily*, but not in the EXE version. It'd require some hacking, I hope he can help. Nevertheless, I will offer this feature for Flash, even if I can't implement it like that in the EXE version. It's just a single property, anyway (render above player, yes or no). It is possible to put the Tile Map above an Active right now, but you can't do both behind and above at the same time with one instance. I might offer the ability to link a second Tile Map object to another one so it can render some layers above an Active.

3) Yes, that's one of the major advantages that I forgot to mention in my post You can do that of course.

4) Yes.

I think you might like this extension

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm changing things around right now - Me and Hempuli have been discussing quite a lot. Basically I've introduced the concept of per-layer tilesets. This basically means each layer has one basic tileset that you can use. We agreed that specifying a tileset ID for every single tile is an advanced feature and should not be needed by most of you. If you look at tile-based games, they're usually divided into rooms (map files) that each only use a single tileset, really. If you have anything to say against that, please do! You will be able to do this somehow, anyway. I might introduce a concept of "optional data" that each layer might have - such as an equivalent to 'Alterable values', per each tile, or, of course, a 'tileset ID' per tile. This means that you will be able to create a giant map with lots of different tilesets if you want to. It's just that it's not really something a well designed game usually needs, so we've decided that it shouldn't be a crucial feature of the extension!

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about Nifflas' method in Knytt Stories of having dual tileset data for transitioning screens?
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ...what about it? I don't think I will implement that into the extension, it's kind of specific, in my opinion.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you storing the data? I'm working on something similar in MMF2 (a level editor not an extension), and I have found that without resorting to tricks the file sizes can grow really big really fast. You mentioned having a level 30,000 pxls wide and tall (roughly 1000^2 tiles if I am guessing right). When I do that on a single layer I am getting file sizes of about a hundred Mb. I haven't tried with multiple layers yet, but it should be a linear progression.

So how big are your file sizes?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! This would be great. I mean it would offer NEW possibilities!!! Time to get excited: NOW!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jakinbandw, I use zlib compression. An uncompressed, empty 2000x2000 map is 7.6 MB - One with 6/10 compression level is only 7.6 KB. Of course, compression will get worse once you actually fill the map. However, since maps often have larger areas where there's only one tile all over (like a ground), and repeating patterns such as walls, there still will be pretty good compression. I don't know what you're doing to get over 100 MB, that's crazy! Each tile has exactly 2 bytes, so it's kinda like width*height*2. The rest, such as the rest, file header etc., are negligible. Do the math: 2000*2000*2 = 8,000,000 ~= 8MB

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure his math is wrong, but for a different reason, as 30,000*30,000*2 = 1,800,000,000 bytes = 1,716.61377 megabytes. If he's only getting a hundred megs, he must have really good compression.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's actually only 1000^2 points of data (that I am working with). Right now my personal one that I am working on has dropped it's size to 24,200kb when it is filled with a single type of tile. Zipping that shrinks it to 2,255kb. I suspect that I am getting file sizes much bigger than yours because I am using the named variable object. It allows me to do a cool trick where if a point of data is 0 it doesn't store it, thus 100000^2 tiles with only 4 of them not empty has the same file size as a file that only has 4 tiles with all 4 of them not empty. Also allows my lvl editor to be extra dynamic because I am not limited by array dimensions.

Anyway, glad to hear it has such a small file size. I can't wait to use it for my next project.

LB: I only have store 1000^2 points of data with my system, I am storing the ID of images that are 32^2 pixels. If I tried to store every pixel... well then there would be problems.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ooh, okay. Named variables aren't really suited for these kinds of things, yes.

Here's the first beta! It comes with a couple of examples that should help you get started. All of them focus on specific things, but also teach you how to use the basic actions I think. As I said, no Flash this time.
    Well, not much to say. Have fun with it. Find them dirty bugs. One thing you should know that as of now, the Tile Map is always fixed on the screen. In combination with the "Follow MMF camera" property, you can still use it for scrolling games, though! Still a lot to do and add, but it's already quite functional as of now. I'd go as far as saying you could create games with it -- but you shouldn't yet. Please be aware I might change some actions or so which would effectively break them in your MFAs and you need to replace them with the new ones.
    Thanks to Hempuli for his wonderful Tileset in the Editor example Hope it all works well.

http://clickteam.info/looki/Extensions/Beta/TileMap.zip

Oh right, maybe some info on the limitations: You can't have more than 254x254 tiles in a tileset. You can't store more than 16 tilesets at edittime (should be enough), and the runtime limit is 100 (that seriously should be enough!).
    Some general usage infos: Once you add a new layer or tileset per action, it is automatically selected and you can modify it with the corresponding actions. The "Tiles" sub-menu always refers to the tiles of the >current layer<.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast