User Tag List

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: Tile Map

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the 224MB RAM test was done in a blank app with just the Tile Map, no Tiled extension, no viewports, it might or might not even have loaded the tilesets as they're in a different directory(I didn't check as there's no viewports)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be something else going on, because even Minecraft uses less than 100 MB ram.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Huh, that is strange. Please upload an example file. However I'm not affiliated with the Tiled map loader so I don't know what exactly is going on there. What I do know: Tiled's level format uses a tileset ID per tile, Tile Map doesn't, maybe that is causing some kind of trouble...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/42...t/sizetest.rar

I could provide the original loading code or TMX but there was a Tiled loader update/fix that broke compatibility(thankfully after I finished what I was toying with) so I'd have to redo it. Still, loading this in Tile Map even with nothing at all results in a huge memory usage. Deleting the Tile Map extension afterwards gets rid of most of that(It left about 11 MB RAM used up)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DinnerSonic View Post
    (It left about 11 MB RAM used up)
    This is from MMF2 - it uses about that much for a blank empty MFA.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your file has 9 layers. 8 of them have a size of 4672*2976. Obviously that's huge and the 229MB are justified. This is either a bug in the extension's file loader/saver or your maps are that big and you were misinformed (?)

EDIT: Ok I guess it's a bug, sorry:

292 in binary is 0b100100100.
    4672 in binary is 0b1001001000000

They share the upper digits so I guess the file size is read at a wrong location (1 byte off). I will have a look at this within a few days or maybe a week or two. Still got those exams to write..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DinnerSonic, I've had time to look at the issue and to me it seems that the TileMap loading code works fine. I've checked the level file in a binary hex editor and the data is loaded properly. I can even load & save the map and get the same file. If I save it with no compression, it's 220MB large which is the same as the ram usage, logically. So it seems that the issue is the code that originally produced your level file. I would be very grateful if you could provide it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I found the problem just now, and it's kinda embarrassing. It wasn't an issue with TileMap, or even with the Tiled loader or Tiled itself, but with the example I had used as the base for the level loading. Instead of using the TMX file's internal tile width/height options to set how large each layer should be, it set the width and height to the width and height of the frame after it was expanded by the TMX's width/height. Thus, each layer would be 16 times the size it should have been when loaded into the Tile Map. 292*16=4672, all because of one or two bits referring to the wrong thing.

I'm really quite sorry to cause you or anyone else unneeded stress or worry there. At least I know that even at such a large tile count with so many layers Tile Map still handles reasonably well considering what I put it through.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah, these things happen, don't worry Glad to hear Tile Map works!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    New version! The Flash version is now up to date - it can load TM 1.2 files, it supports per-layer tile size and has all actions/expressions excluding Surface interaction and HWA-only features.

I also fixed some tiny stability issues in the exe version. Nothing to get excited about unless you had problems before.

http://clickteam.info/looki/Extensions/Beta/TileMap.zip

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast