User Tag List

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: Tile Map

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what yiersi was trying to say - maybe just a compliment? He's a registered user after all! If so, thanks.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently... uni keeps me busy...

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah anyway I didn't realize you had that callback function on there before, I was using a way out of date version. That easily lets me make animated tilesets in the exact same manner as the text blitter. Maybe not a step up in efficiency since its still pegged to the mmf2 event editor bottleneck, but for the nonanimated tilesets, a huge step up. Great work looki!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ive noticed that the "return x or y source of tile on layer at (x/y)" expression returns 255 for an empty tile, and the compound returns 255255. Given that it returns -1 for all three functions on an out-of-bounds tile, and that 255x255 could be a real tile, its a glitch right? Supposed to return -1 for an empty tile. It makes the math complicated, if you want to see if a tiles empty, you compare to 255255 instead of just checking if its positive, and to see if its *either* out of bounds or empty, its uh, (x+1) mod 255256 != 0

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah, thanks, yeah. I fixed it for the next version (not sure when I will release it). However, since you know your way around MMF, I assume that there's a possibility you have Visual Studio installed. The extension is open-source and I always commit changes immediately, so if you want, you can build it yourself... actually, you could even fix stuff yourself The thing is, uni is keeping my really busy and I'm not really working much on extensions right now.

https://github.com/clickteam-plugin/TileMap
    https://github.com/clickteam-plugin/TileMapViewport

By the way, the "Tile ID" expression returns the internal representation of a tile, i.e. a 2 byte value where X is low and Y is high (This is pretty much the same as the compound value, except *0xff instead of *1000). Therefore, an empty tile has the ID 0xffff.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Example files where mentioned in the first post linking to the beta release (http://community.clickteam.com/threads/70577-Beta-Tile-Map?p=524057&viewfull=1#post524057)

The beta files seems to have been updated now and the examples gone. Does anyone have the examples around?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I made you an example with my extension and Tile Map
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it's okay to bump this to post a quick request here for whenever you get back to this. I think you told me it's better to put things like this here rather than PM, e-mail or IM you with them, so you can look back when working later on. Assuming this request is even plausible.

Is it possible to change the Tile Map Viewport's Layers to Draw at runtime? I was hoping some time to make the number of layers in a level variable in things I work on in the future because I tend to underestimate how many I'll eventually need for normal and overlaid layers, and then sometimes in preparation for that I do the opposite and have things like special overlay layers coming between the normal overlay layer and the FG that end up unused in 90% of the game and areas that would benefit from extra layers and flat areas that'd use only one or two...

I feel like it might work easier if I could just change the layers to be displayed at the start of the frame depending on the level.

Related to possibly unused layers and layer related issues, I also noticed when making a level for a minigame and having a large amount of blank space that I had yet to fill or crop out, that the game was using up around 600 MB of memory and taking up to 10 seconds to load the level if I remember right. I admit, it was around 500x500 to 1000x1000 16x16 sized tiles large on about seven layers, but should I take it as a sign I shouldn't even think of attempting a Knytt type huge single level game while using several layers?

I wonder if there's a way of pulling off some sort of Metroid/Castlevania style level loading with this extension, maybe making a one-screen sized loading room that resets positions, reloads tilesets and loads the appropriate level, being placed at the end of one and the beginning of the other and looking exactly the same to hide the loading. Then again, you'd still get a brief pause as it reloads everything.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I will keep your feature request in mind. No time to add right now, exams coming up. As a workaround for now, set the render range to [0,999] and use the layer's "visible" setting. A bit hacky but it works I guess.

The extension doesn't save space on blank tiles because they're all still stored in the memory... as blank tiles.
    Each tile occupies exactly 2 bytes so you can do the math. Tile size is absolutely irrelevant (tile size is proportional to the tileset size, and of course the tileset bitmaps takes up memory too, but unless those are huge and plenty, you shouldn't hit more than a few MB. A 256x256 tileset takes up about 192KB in the memory).
    7 * 1000*1000 * 2 = 14000000 which is around 14 MB. I really don't know what the 600 MBs are about. Please try to save the map to a file (uncompressed) and see how big the file is, and also try to play around with the size and check the RAM usage.

I just did some tests:

Creating 7 layers of 1000x1000 tiles happens instantly, I assume 0.1s in the worst case or so.
    Saved to a file with no compression: 13.3MB.
    Loading the file again: Instant.
    RAM usage: 29 MB (empty app is 15MB, so there you have it.. 14MB again!)

The complexity of saving and loading is O(width*height) and the number of non-blank tiles is irrelevant (let's ignore compression here - the empty map file was a 1000 times smaller with compression turned on... but compression is pretty fast anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using that Tiled file loader extension to load into Tile Map(The editor's not perfect, but it's solved some issues my own editor had at least) which might be causing some of the issues, though it doesn't make sense to me...

I used an event to save one of the maps from the minigame I made that I noticed this in, the largest one though nowhere near 1000x1000, 292x186 tiles and actually 9 layers I realize(I forgot there were two types of collision layer and both a normal layer over the player and one that fades if the player is behind).

The Tiled format TMX level is 8.89 MB with no compression at all, saving in Tile Map with default settings creates a 216 MB file, and loading it in a blank app with just the Tile Map... results in using up 224MB of RAM. If 7 layers of 1000x1000 result in 15 MB, I'd think 9 layers of 292x186 should be much smaller or at least equal.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you verified exactly which extension is using that memory?
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast