User Tag List

Thread: [BUG/Unexpected Behaviour] NOT Overlapping an object

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[BUG/Unexpected Behaviour] NOT Overlapping an object

I noticed what I believe to be a bug with the condition "[Negated] Overlapping an object" in all recent builds of MMF2. I tried it in 253 and 254, but I'm not sure how long it has existed for. I only realised it on the weekend in Ludum Dare.

I have the condition:
    "[Negated] Object A is overlapping Object B" > Set counter to 1.

If there are no instances of Object A or B then the event does not trigger, and the counter remains at 0.

If there are instances of both Object A and B, or the condition "Number of object A > 0 AND number of Object b > 0" then the event does trigger as expected, and the counter is set to 1.

My expected behaviour for when there are no instances of one of the objects, is that the event "[Negated] Overlapping an object" > Set counter to 1, should still set the counter to 1.

I can understand why this is happening, but I don't think it is intuitive and I don't think anyone would expect it to work this way.

Here is my simple example file that isolates the issue: Not overlapping unexpected behaviour.mfa

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems because the object isnt created, the associated instructions will be ignored. this is what happens with [.Qualifiers] - i normally put a dummy object offscreen with the the qualifiers i use in it, so if there are no objects with that qualifier, the condition still be be read by MMF.
    in your case, another active2 off screen(created at startup), and it works as it should. does that make sense andy?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, this has existed forever, its a problem with how the logic for object scoping works- its trying to iterate over the class of objects to test a property, against the collision masks. When you have the negated condition "A is not overlapping B", what it will try to do is scope every instance of the object A that isn't overlapping an object B; so the condition could be true, false, or partially true, depending on how many objects fit that description. So if you had 2 A's that were overlapping a B, and 2 A's that were not overlapping, then having the "isn't overlapping" negated conditon will scope the two that aren't, and the regular unnegated condition will scope the two that are. The problem, when neither exist, is that it will then count the entire condition as false instead of proceeding on

Its debatable whether this is logically intended or not. It makes sense in a way. If you check for any other property of an object, like "is flag 4 on" vs "is flag 4 off", it will be false if no instances of that object exist either way, despite being a seeming boolean based on that object's conditions. So if you're checking for the property of whether its overlapping something or not, shouldn't that be false if none exist? The real bug I think is that the latter object not existing still returns false even if none exist- that should logically probably be a 'true'.

Like danjo was saying, just having a dummy object offscreen or ensuring there will never be 0 instances of that object makes it pretty simple to work around. But if thats not good enough, you can specify flags for whether a class of objects exists or not and use two different lines of code based on that. I use that same logic in my engine, for whether a certain kind of platform (enemies that can be frozen in time) exists, and duplicate the lines that would test for their collisions;

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the logic of why it happens, but I guess I was just saying it's not intuitive. It's just another one of MMF2's esoteric nuances, and now I know about it I'll look out for it! :P I was surprised though that I've never really noticed it. I can solve it quite easily using "Number of objects > 0", so I'm happy with that solution.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes this creates a big problem I've run into when you have like 10 different active objects you have to test for in the global events or behaviors and you have to test if something isn't overlapping them all individually, since qualifiers don't work in global events or behaviors, and it's not practical to have them off screen so I try to find alternate methods besides using if object is not overlapping object.