[Request] - New Audio object

Welcome to our brand new Clickteam Community Hub! We hope you will enjoy using the new features, which we will be further expanding in the coming months.

A few features including Passport are unavailable initially whilst we monitor stability of the new platform, we hope to bring these online very soon. Small issues will crop up following the import from our old system, including some message formatting, translation accuracy and other things.

Thank you for your patience whilst we've worked on this and we look forward to more exciting community developments soon!

Clickteam.
  • Hi everyone,

Just to propose a new audio object more complete, more formats supports than the basic object "DirectShow" or "MMF2 Audio built-in"

Support Audio Format:

• .WAV (PCM / Uncompressed)
    • .MP3
    • .OGG
    • .MID
    • .MOD / .S3M / .IT
    • .WMA
    • .AC3
    • .AAC
    • .RAW
    • .M4A
    • .APE
    • .FLaC
    • .AIFF / .AIF
    • .AU
    • .MKA
    • .CDA (Audio Track from Audio CD)
    • .AVI / .MPG / .MP4 (Audio only from Video)

Actions:

• Load sound file ...
      -----
    • Play
    • Stop
    • Pause
    • Resume
    • Rewind (set step in milliseconds)
    • Foward (set step in milliseconds)
      -----
    • Set loop (on/off)
    • Set position (in milliseconds)
    • Set volume (0 to 100)
    • Set pitch (0 to 100)
    • Set pan (-100 to 100)
      -----
    • Effects > Reverb (0 to 100)
    • Effects > Delay (0 to 100)
    • Effects > Flanger (0 to 100)
    • Effects > Equalizer (Bass: 0 to 100 / Medium: 0 to 100 / Treble: 0 to 100)

Conditions:

• is Playing?
    • is just finished
      -----
    • is Looping?
    • Compare position ...

Expressions:

• Get Sound filename
    • Get Tag (ID-tag$)
      -----
    • Get Rewind Step (get step in milliseconds)
    • Get Foward Step (get step in milliseconds)
      -----
    • Get current position (in milliseconds)
    • Get current volume
    • Get current pitch
    • Get pan
      -----
    • Effects > Get Reverb value
    • Effects > Get Delay value
    • Effects > Get Flanger value
    • Effects > Get Equalizer values (Bass / Medium / Treble)

If you have others ideas :) thanks

--------------------------------------
    Nicolas "Nico" Sourdeval
    2D / 3D / Video Artist
    Please login to see this link.

• Try the VLC ActiveX.
    This looks complicated, riddled with licensing problems (MP3) and huge to add to a project.
    However, if people agree this is needed, just ask for code from existing objects and that's 80% of the work done :D

Darkwire Software Lead Programmer (C++ & C#)
    Please login to see this link. | Please login to see this link. | Please login to see this link. | Please login to see this link.

• I just totally disagree. This is a lot of work and the only thing that is accomplished is making it easy to build a multi-format media player, and the world already have VLC. MMF needs to think quality, not quantity. Pick a few really good formats. Support those really, really well.

Currently, the way things are done is supporting tons of video formats all relying on external codecs. In other words: pointless. Currently, the way module playback is implemented is that we can't select interpolation method, it doesn't follow song position commands, and when the song loops all notes are cut. Also pointless.

Instead of supporting even more formats so everybody can create multi-format media players, how about something useful? Like, the ability to sample accurately synchronize the playback of audio? That allows us to do cool rhythm games, music applications, and so on.

What features that are added has to be planned out by experts in each area who knows what matters, not by people who wants to put as much into MMF as possible. Just the fact that you mention reverb, delay, flanger, and eq... notice how the flanger is out of place? Why that, and not prioritize something more useable? A compressor or limiter would be fantastic to deal with dynamics in the games and avoid clipping. A filter would be nice for simulating distance, underwater environments, etc. A flanger is quite limited in sounding good on guitars and mayhaps be able to enhance a flyby or alien spaceship. Even within the context of modulation effects, the chorus would probably be more useful. Also, why only an amount? Where are the LFO speed or feedback controls?

Edited 7 times, last by Nifflas (April 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM).

• Instead of supporting even more formats so everybody can create multi-format media players, how about something useful? Like, the ability to sample accurately synchronize the playback of audio? That allows us to do cool rhythm games, music applications, and so on.

Oh yes ! Audio processing is actually too basic in MMF to do such games and apps...

• I agree with you 100% Nifflas, everything you said there sounds awesome, not sure how sensible a project of that size would be for anyone in the community, most of the big workers already have enough on their plates, been a long time since I posted in a thread like this, but yeah, great ideas, if someone could bring in some strategies to back them up, possibly StephenL or Phi, then we could be on our way to breaking through to games as exciting as Audiosurf and beyond!

Oh CRAP I have work I need to be doing, bye!

• Hi everyone,

This is sure an old thread here but I was searching around for a basic EQ for "ogg" format or mp3 format. this kind of extension will be praised by many. It's been years since Clickteam really updated the audio functions. the only "big" add was back when the "Panning" was added and the "mp3" format was added.

A simple EQ with a high pass and low pass filter would be so much appreciated. it can make tho (pause menu, underwater level, boss fight, explosion, gunshot, etc.) way more interesting to be honest. So many games nowadays have this kind of design and I can assure that it's implemented inside engines nowadays. Back in 1990, it would be "ok" to set 2 music simultaneously and fade them together to get this desired effect. messing with the "Bass/mid/high" of a sound can be done by code obviously, that how any EQ plugin does it in DAWs. The thing is that it doesn't need to be fancy to get a special effect.

That said. I know Clickteam is working on CF3 for years now and stuff. I'm just wondering if I will ever be able to have more control inside the engine about my game sound. I find it kind odd to work with a "Modern" engine that might lack a bit of the basic stuff. (Games are made of : Art / Sound / Conditions). My point is that absolutely need a rework not to be rude.

Alright, take care y'all!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!