Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multiplayer game?

Clicker The Games Factory 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiplayer game?

How hard would it be to make a simple 2d shooter game 2 person multiplayer? Im thinking LAN, but over the internet would be nice too (i would host the server so me and a friend could play if i had to).
    How difficult would this be (p.s. i do not know much about TGF2 exept the basics). Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making a online multiplayer game is beyond the comprehension of someone who only knows the basics. I'm well beyond the basics (I've finished lots of advanced tutorials), and it's still beyond my comprehension enough to make me unable to make something online multiplayer that is worth playing. Also, the only online multiplayer extensions for TGF2 are the Moo extensions, and those are discontinued (no more development is being put towards them, so any bugs in them are permanent). Also, you would need to buy a server (a dedicated server would work just fine) unless you plan on using a public server (though a public server wouldn't be very suitable for a game you decide to sell, so it would probably have to be a game completely free of charge if you used a public server).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The game i plan on making is just a simple 2d sidescroller shooter that the only things the players would need to do is move left and right (possibly a jump) with an animation and fire a projectile. Also, there would be simple enemy AI and i would want both players to see the eneimies doing the same thing. How hard would this be to do?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, so hard that only very skilled users of TGF2 and MMF2 can do it. Bullets and other projectiles are perhaps the hardest thing to do, as well as enemies. A simple shooting game where both players try to shoot each other might be easier, but still very hard. I can hardly make something where the players are just boxes and can only move around. Based on what you described, you would need your own server as well. One thing you should learn about online multiplayer with MMF2: If it's an online multiplayer game that is very simple that requires a server, especially if you don't plan on selling it, it shouldn't get made unless you have a lot of money on your hands. You pretty much need MMF2 to make online multiplayer games anyway, as the only extensions available for TGF2 that can handle online multiplayer are nowhere near as powerful as Lacewing (the latest online multiplayer extension, which is only for MMF2 and up). The simplest online multiplayer thing to make is a game with two objects, each representing a player, and both players just move around left and right, no shooting, no chat, nothing fancy.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are beiing very pessimistic here, happygreenfrog.. Making multiplayergames is not THAT difficult, all you need is to have a full understanding on how it works. While it is true you should now the ins and outs of MMF2 before going on, I wouldn't say it is the most difficult thing to do. Some singleplayergames can be tricky to make as well.
    I believe there are some quite good tutorials out there explaining the consept of online gaming, both specifically for MMF and for online games in general. However, I am no expert on the subject.
    Today, Lacewing is the tool to use if you want to make realtime onlinegames with MMF2. It is a series of extensions. They are very powerful, and even lets you create a server with MMF2.

Try to get hold of some good tutorials that take you step by step through Lacewing, so you are able to create a chat program, move objects etc.. You know, the basic stuff. It is all about sending and recieving commands, so learning to create a chat program first is always good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has TGF2, he can't use Lacewing. He doesn't have much experience with TGF2 at all, and was asking how hard it would be for someone of his skill level. The answer is if you have TGF2 and aren't very skilled with it, you should wait.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In TGF2 you can use the Moo extensions for online multiplayer, but they are very outdated and buggy, and for local network there is the network object, but it is very low level.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For now i am just thinking local network. How much easier would it be for local network?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be much, much harder to do it for local network.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i should probably just do the 2 player WASD and arrow controls. thanks for all of your help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast