User Tag List

Thread: A small lacewing question

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A small lacewing question

I've been messing around with Lacewing lately (running the relay server as its own exe) and I've got it working up to the point where channels are joinable. I confirmed that I can join channels with a small bit of code on the dedicated server. However when the clients blast text to the channel, the server doesn't seem to get the message. It works when I use "blast text to server" but not "blast text to channel". Any ideas? Is there some action I have to add to the server when someone wants to join a channel that confirms it perhaps?

EDIT: aha fixed it, for all who wondered I had to enable "on message to channel" with the relay server

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't blast unless you need the message to get there fast and don't care if it gets lost or arrives out of order from others.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question, is it ok to use conditions with my server like "on binary message received from any subchannel" >> send "a whole load of stuff" to the subchannel it was received on. Basically the client would be getting a bit of empty data, but it would save tons of time.

That said, maybe i just made an error but it seems when exchanging x, y coordinates and all that stuff on the same subchannel for two different objects, something doesn't seem to work. It's like the clients are receiving back their own messages when their not supposed to. Any ideas?

I just fixed my second question by just making each user send their ID's with their coordinates so the clients can differentiate between who's sending. I'm thinking in regards to my first question maybe I should just send everything on the same subchannel along with a "message type" byte. This would make it so I basically hardly ever have to edit my server.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
    Another question, is it ok to use conditions with my server like "on binary message received from any subchannel" >> send "a whole load of stuff" to the subchannel it was received on. Basically the client would be getting a bit of empty data, but it would save tons of time.
    What do you mean? What time is being saved from having to take time to process the data and then resend it back to all clients including the one who sent it?
    That said, maybe i just made an error but it seems when exchanging x, y coordinates and all that stuff on the same subchannel for two different objects, something doesn't seem to work. It's like the clients are receiving back their own messages when their not supposed to. Any ideas?
    Yeah,let the relay server do its job and don't resend data for it
    I just fixed my second question by just making each user send their ID's with their coordinates so the clients can differentiate between who's sending. I'm thinking in regards to my first question maybe I should just send everything on the same subchannel along with a "message type" byte. This would make it so I basically hardly ever have to edit my server.
    Do NOT ever send client names or IDs through messages. Lacewing sends these for you and you can get them via the Self_ID and self_Name$ expression and the Peer_ID and Peer_Name$ expressions.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Lacewing sub-forum under extension development, just so you know. This question really belongs there.