User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Cheapest way to be able to do iOS games without Mac?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take on piracy: you're never going to avoid it, so take steps to minimize it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to get things really clear. If I understand correctly you can develop a game for iOS on a PC with MMF , but to build the app you need the Mac?
    Also is developing for a mobile different then to develop for another platform like Flash when it comes to running the game while you are developing it? For example, even though if I develop a game for Flash I still run it and test it under development in the runtime in MMF. I don't build the app to test how it works in the Flash browser so often, that would be to time consuming. Maybe I do a test once a week at max to see that it runs as it should in the browser, rest of time I am only spending in regular MMF edit and runtime.

So when you develop for iOS is this different? Do you do your testing like usual in MMF runtime after you have done some change in edit time? Or is the method different?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test in MMF as normal, but you may have to make allowances for multiple touch and accelerometer. However, I also test often on the device, it's really quick and easy to do, especially if you run Windows in a VM on the Mac, you just hit build, guesture swip into xcode and hit run.
    Andy H @ ovine.net
    Awful Jokes - a new cartoon every day: http://awful.ovine.net/
    Ovine's games: http://www.ovine.net

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got a windows, linux, and a $300 mac mini on my desk. 3 monitors, and I switch between them using synergy. Neat software!

When Im ready to test my game on my iPod, I export the game from MMF over the local network to the mac. I then just drag my cursor over to the mac screen (synergy) and click build. After compiling, the game runs on the iPod over the USB cable.

This is the prime reason you need a mac - testing. It would be feasible to have some kind of remote server to submit MMF games to and have them compile, but you would need a very long USB cable to try them on your iPod!

There may be an alternative however - and this is using AdHoc distribution. This is a method in which apple lets you send compiled apps out to beta testers. Ive never used it, and for all I know this sort of use would be against their terms, but it could work.

Someone would need to setup a mac and a webserver to take uploads of compiled zip files. The server could build it with the distribution certificate for the uploader's device ID. The compiled game could then be emailed back, and installed through iTunes. (But would this work through windows iTunes?)

One limitation however is that you can only add 100 devices to a single developer account. Furthermore, it is unclear to me how to automate XCode, but I imagine there is some way to perform builds from a shell interface....

http://useyourloaf.com/blog/2010/12/...on-builds.html

EDIT
    ----------

Looks like automatic compiling of Xcode projects could be automated with a script. I can see a web-framework wrapping around this quite easily.

http://www.neat.io/posts/2010/10/27/...tribution.html

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Dropbox, so I build in MMF on my laptop, export application, then open it up on my Mac as soon as Dropbox syncs. I test it on the phone at the end of each day of development, unless it's an accelerometer or heavy multitouch game in which case it's constant.

You can build the project ('iOS Xcode project') first and then save time by just replacing one file in the project files ('iOS application (.cci)') until you finalise it (or upgrade to a newer version of the exporter), then you need to load up the project in Xcode and run it on your device.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love apple, and yet I hate them. If they built an Xcode for PC they would make so much money and solve such problems as these. But no, they won't.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    Oh. I did not know piracy was such a problem on the mobile, considering the games are so cheap.
    It happens quite a bit on iOS, apple will change stuff when they update the OS but people break it in days, but at least only jailbroken users can play it, normal untouched devices will not run it at all.

In a way it's one of many reasons why free to play is better right now, everyone gets the game for free and some people pay money for stuff.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is, anybody serious about programming, designing etc. will have a Mac, usually both a Mac and a Windows machine. Android's open-ness doesn't do it's market many favours, it's so full of crap now and you just can't trust what you see on there. They're also trying to push the unity and consistency between their products. XCode is also used to program Mac applications, it'd be a tad pointless on Windows for that purpose, and iOS is just an offshoot of OSX.

I don't mind, just means less competition for us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4