User Tag List

Thread: Resolution & Aspect Ratios

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2iOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resolution & Aspect Ratios

Is there anyway to stop a widescreen 16:9 device automatically stretching the screen of a 4:3 designed game?

I'm creating in 640x480 and this works well on an old CRT, but I'd prefer it not to stretch when run on a HD screen.

I've tried creating the game in 854x480 with manual black boxes on each side - and this works a treat on the HD screen, but it double letter-boxes on CRT/4:3 devices, so the game is too small to see.

I've also tried it in 854x480 and just utilising the extra space (i.e. no manual black boxes, but more visible game) - and this works great on HD screens, but again looks a bit small on the CRT, as it letterboxes the top and bottom.

The most ideal situation I guess would having the ability to work out what display resolution is being used (I think this is a feature of standard MMF2 projects, but is it possible to have on XNA Xbox projects as well?) and then being able to respond to that by forcing it to stay in the aspect ratio I want, and centralising it in the screen. This way, it would maintain the aspect ratio I'd like when viewed on a variety of screen options.

Is this something that can be done?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed a few games which offer a choice on start-up of widescreen and normal - this gets around that problem, but I'm thinking preventing the screen from stretching is beyond the current capabilities of the XNA MMF2 objects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still looking for a solution to this if anyone's knows a work around?

Are there any code amendments in Visual Studio which can lock the aspect ratio and prevent it autostretching?

Cheers

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Your best bet off the bat is to let the user choose. Have two versions (16:9 and 4:3) and let the player choose via options. I've not done a full scale test myself yet, however my game resolution is 1024x768 and it seems perfect on 16:9 and 4:3.

If you're gonna stick with one mode 16:9 or 4:3 then I think you'd be better off optimising for 16:9 as this is pretty much the standard these days and majority of households/gamers will be using HD screens, I don't think I know a single person with a CRT anymore.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny, I'd love to do it that way but I don't think you can adjust the resolution at runtime (when they select their option) nor have half the game at 1000x500 and half at 1200x500 to cater for both options (for example)

My game is with hand-drawn pixel art, so it does look a bit odd when stretched unfortunately

Having thought it through though, I think you're right - just go with the majority (16:9) and see what happens - it might fall foul of the evil check-list on a small CRT, but hopefully no-one tests it on a ridiculous screen.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Asholay; yeah that's what I meant. At least if you design in the higher resolution for 16:9 downscaling would look much better than upscaling.

I found a complete list of resolutions online used by most games and the majority are leaning towards 1280x720. I found my own medium plays well at 1024x720, even 1024x768 scales exceptionally well. I would design around these, I have done two prototypes and they have both turned out well in this resolution.

I suppose it's just trial and error, good luck with your stuff. When you need a playtester be sure to let me know. I'll also let you know when I'm in need.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm now converting to 854x480 from 640x480. I tried loads of bits initially, but keep changing my mind what looks best, then keep trying to please every format available lol :rolleyes:

I'm using a smaller resolution to give it that retro feel, pixelated look, and to make it easier as all my graphics are hand-drawn.

Will certainly drop you a line for play-testing, and do the same for me when you need it as well.