Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Extreme Lag on Older Devices

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you implement the menus?

Ive been having a lot of luck by using the layer object. In-game, if the player requests the settings menu, I unhide a dedicated layer for it. I also close a group of events that controls the game engine, and I open a group of events dedicated to the menu buttons.

This way, the events for the menu are only active when needed.

If you're referring to buttons that are always visible however, then you need to keep them visible and active.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried setting the optimization level for debug to "fastest, smallest" in Xcode?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kinase, do you have an app on the app store that uses that method? I would TOTALLY setup my app like that as long as I can see it in action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my golf game does it. Here's a promo code for you:

YLPXA6EJ9FMH

The menu/scorecard is on a completely separate layer. On a level, you activate it with the button on the bottom left.

Here's what a basic event structure would look like

HTML Code:
    + User clicks on menu button
    + Menu layer is invisible
              > Deactivate game group and activate menu group

Game group :
        Your game engine stuff

Menu group:
        + User clicks on menu button
        + Menu layer is visible
              > Hide menu layer
              > Deactivate menu group and activate game group
        + Only one action when event loops
             > Show menu layer
        + User clicks on some button in the menu
             > Do something

In the game, whenever the scorecard is open, you can't aim or take swings. This is because my game engine is getting deactivated. Furthermore, because the events handling the buttons of the menu are in the menu group, they wont work unless the menu is visible. This is important, otherwise touch events will cause actions even with an invisible layer. This also saves you compute cycles if you have a big complicated menu system.

Why do I show the menu layer in a separate event? This is due to the true event driven nature of the 'user clicks on object' event. Without having separate events, a menu button click will deactivate the game group, activate the menu group, and then trigger the close event instantly. The staggered events delay this action it to prevent this instant deactivation issue. In this case, order of events is critical. The layer must be shown only AFTER the condition in which clicks and layer visibility is checked.

If you can't get it working, let me know and I'll try to create a minimal example for everyone.

EDIT:

Here's another thought I just had.

In-game menu's tend to be rather large, in terms of screen real-estate. If you need to make them appear out of nowhere suddenly without changing frames, and you're NOT using layers, then the only way I can think of implementing this is by changing the visibility of a big active object to serve as the menu's background ....

Is this what you are doing? If so, I imagine that would be slow, since actives have a lot of overhead. Keep in mind that the black menu you see in my game is simply a quick-backdrop with partial transparency set to make it look nice. Layers are neat since they are the only mechanism I am aware of that let you dynamically show or hide any kind of backdrop objects.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, awesome game! I was really impressed with your physics and gameplay!

As for the layers menu system, it works SO MUCH FASTER! I get instant changes!

Thank you SO much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear! I'll have to cook up an example then. I think this simple technique will make development a lot faster.

Thanks for the compliment. The game hasn't been a great success. A lot of my friends have been rather critical since it isn't realistic :p
    Ive never actually played golf ....

Nonetheless, I have a free iAd supported copy hopefully coming out soon. I hope to make more than $100 over the course of the games lifetime, which will be better than what the paid copy has accomplished.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2