Thread: Ignore missing file during installation

Clicker Install Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignore missing file during installation

Hi,

with option "Keep external" one can add a file to Setup which is not integrated to the setup.exe. Instead, it could be located in a separate folder of the installation media.

Unfortunately, when running such a designed setup.exe from a location where this separate folder with its file is not present, setup terminates installation process with an error message, that the file is missing.

In my case its the help file (chm) which is very big (35 MB), so that I do not want to integrate it into setup. The setup should be as small as possible to be able to send by mail. Customers who already have an installation with an installed helpfile, need not a 35 MB helpfile where nothing has changed.

So the question is, can I somehow tell the setup, to ignore the missing external file, and run to end quite normally ?

Thanks

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No, there is no option for that. It's in the wish list for ICP3 but it's not yet done.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you simply just:
    1) not include the help file at all, and instead have an optional download for it? That way you won't need to include it at all (although if you have a link to it in your program, the link won't work)
    OR
    2) you can link the help file pages to an online URL (instead of having the pages embedded in it) so it'll only work with internet access, but include an offline version (with the pages embedded) as an optional download?

Both of these should reduce its file size by 30-35MB. Personally, I'd recommend #2, as that still includes a help file, albeit one that requires internet access.

If it's an update patch that you're making, wouldn't Patch Maker be a better idea? I believe that PM doesn't include a file if it hasn't changed? and if it has changed, it would only store the changes instead of the full file? (is that right, Yves?)

Clicker Install Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi SethAluma,

thanks for these hints.
    Both options are alternatives to overcome this lack of ICP. We will check them.

@Yves
    I was a bit surprised that ICP is so strict in this case.
    There is another situation where ICP is more tolerant, so I expected here a similar behaviour.

It's the situation, when you add an executable to setup with options "Keep external" and "Do not install", but chose the Run option for this executable during setup. In this case, ICP ignores the missing executable and simply do nothing without any errormessage.