User Tag List

Thread: Loading external files question

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loading external files question

So, some time ago I had asked how to get external files to load into a List Object and everything seemed to be working just fine. Now it all seems to be broken. I just wanted to ask what the best method was for working with external files that works both on PC and iOS.

I have a List Object that should populate from a file. My old method was to use the "Load List file..." action and simply use the file picker. This meant the action had a path relative to my working files. Once this was done, the file was automatically added to the External Files tab of Data Elements.

After doing this, I tried simply adding the file to the Binary Data tab, which worked but removed it from the External Files tab. I am not sure of the proper syntax to access something from the Binary Data tab. But in either case, the file doesnt seem to load into the List Object now.

Has anyone had success loading a file into a List Object? And can you provide the proper syntax?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mobichan - Yes, I've managed to load a file into the List Object. For iOS, don't use the file picker, just use the filename without a directory structure. Then manually copy the file over with your zip project to your Mac. In XCode you need to manually add it using File>Add files to <name of project>
    Not sure what you mean by External Files Tab and Binary Data Tab - never used those!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it works if you just load by the filename, and have that file on binary data.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks AyreGuitar. That definitely makes it work on device. The problem I need to solve is one method that makes it work both on device and on the PC debugger. If you define the filename with an expression, the PC debugger doesn't load the file (not sure why). Has anyone figured out a single method for both cases?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mobichan - On PC it always tries to load from this directory (not the directory your app is in):
    C:/Users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/ClickTeam/
    Simply replace <UserName> with your own username, eg mine is Kevin, so it's:
    C:/Users/Kevin/AppData/Roaming/ClickTeam/
    Just navigate to that directory and place your file there and it should work on PC too (this is also where it will save to within the PC version)

NB It doesn't use a different directory for each app, so be careful if you use the same filename for different apps as it may get confusing ;-)

Clicker

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll give it a go when I get home.

Clicker

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works like a charm! Thanks again for the explanation.