User Tag List

Thread: Experiences with layers in iOS?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experiences with layers in iOS?

My current design has 4 layers, am I over reaching?

Ive read threads about issues with serious lag using layers on iOS, are these isolated issues or have some been able to use layers with no issue?

Just looking for some feedback on experiences with layers & iOS before my project gets any larger(Metroid type game using many frames).

Thanks in advance.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have up to 5 layers in some frames, but they aren't being used for hundreds of objects. Generally, I have a layer for UI, a layer for a fade in/out screen cover, a layer for foreground elements and a layer for background elements. I have never had any issues with layers. But it really depends on how much stuff you are piling into the frame. Your best bet is to make a test frame with a good smaple of what you expect in your worst case scenario. Then run it on iOS and see what happens.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My game uses 3 layers, 1 for a scrolling background of sorts, one main playfield area where the collisions are and then one over the top for the hud, lights and a screen overlay which adds in faint scanlines, everything seems good when the game scrolls but because I run my app at 30fps at 480 x 320 I can't say anything about other resolutions.

Nice to see someone else working on a metroidvania

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Francois is checking into this for me. I can't get polyroll to run at more than about 15% speed with a bg layer. It runs fine with one extra layer (for the control overlay) but if I add more than that it grinds to a halt. Worth mentioning is that my levels have near or over 200 objects in them. Also, I was Having problems with collision when using the pmo and having a bg layer.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    in iOS, as the display is driven by OpenGL, eact background and sprite element is displayed individually, one after the other.
    The layers are just here to give order to everything.
    So, on iOS, there is no major difference in display time, between Layer 0 and the other layers : all the objects are all displayed individually, layer after layer, one after the other.
    So , sabsically, there should not be any *significant* slow down due to a layer.
    Layer-wide effects could slowdown the display though.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jregork View Post
    Francois is checking into this for me. I can't get polyroll to run at more than about 15% speed with a bg layer. It runs fine with one extra layer (for the control overlay) but if I add more than that it grinds to a halt. Worth mentioning is that my levels have near or over 200 objects in them. Also, I was Having problems with collision when using the pmo and having a bg layer.
    It's really weird that that's still going on, cause I've used layers in several games and not had any problems. Game glitches seem to be so subjective sometimes eh?