User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 6th gen iPhone and screen ratio

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this pretty much confirms it:

"9to5Mac reports that it has discovered through some testing with Apple's official iOS simulator that iOS 6 is capable of automatically scaling its home screen display to fit a taller 1136x640 display, compared to the current 960x640 display. Numerous rumors and part leaks have indicated that Apple will be including a taller display on the next-generation iPhone to be introduced next month.

'Thanks to some tweaks to the iOS Simulator application that is included in the iOS development tools, we were able to run the simulator at the rumored next-generation iPhone display resolution of 640 x 1136. We did this running both the current public release of iOS 5.1 and the upcoming iOS 6.0 The iOS 5.1 simulator displayed the home screen with a stretched set of four rows of icons. On the other hand, iOS 6 displayed five complete rows – as our sources said Apple was testing for taller iPhone displays.'

Notably, setting the iOS simulator to resolutions other than 1136x640 does not result in automatic scaling, with the software instead simply defaulting to an "iPad-like home screen layout" different from what is seen for the iPhone. The observation suggests that there is something special about that 1136x640 resolution that suggests Apple has at least been working on an iOS 6 device supporting that screen size."

From macrumors.com.

CT, we DEFINITELY need some kind of auto-cropping now.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The person who hacked the simulator should try running an app in it with that res enabled, I am guessing the game will center with black bars to the side on older apps.

We really do need cropping, I am in a loop of making my game in the old res or supporting widescreen, setting the sticks to new locations and stuff.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that 'new' resolution could also be a new resolution for a smaller iPad built to compete with the Kindle Fire.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this doesn't mean an end to the MMF2 iOS exporter.. the CT programmers kept saying it's not possible didn't they?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally possible, it'll just be a bit of a pain for them.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand, doesn't it already scale your game to the correct resolution of the iPhone/Pad? Regardless of what weird resolution it may have been made in? I guess most games would look a bit weird stretched out like that though.

And I was getting all excited about releasing on iOS. Hope this all works out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does, it's just that it scales to fit instead of cropping to fit, meaning you'll get black bars.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we should have the option between Scaling to fill screen size, and cropping.

That would be perfect for more than just this new phone. If they added that option we could make the screen size square and rotate the app in 90 degree increments. It would allow developers to have more app rotation options.
    That's how the Blackberry runtime works and how I supported different device rotations and screen sizes. I just adjusted the on screen buttons based on the screen size and phone rotation, but made the actual app resolution larger than the screen size on the device.

I suggested this during the beta, but my idea was shot down at the time. "Not possible" is what I was told.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eugh! I really dislike that form factor (all but confirmed now), why is it so tall and thin? I think I'll stick with iPhone 4 for iOS dev, needs to be underpowered anyways. The simulator should suffice for testing the aspect ratio. Talk about don't fix what isn't broken!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still puzzled why they would do this, but I'm gonna wait for the press release before planning/thinking about it.

There have been loads of rumours before every launch that turned out to be false. I remember according to rumours the 4S was gonna have a curved back, have a 'lite' version etc.

If the 16:9 ratio is true then I'd like to know their reasoning behind it. It's a loose-loose situation for developers; develop for the new device which only a small portion of the market owns but has the most up-to-date hardware? Or stick with the old format which most people have and ignore the superior product?

Sacrifice the way apps display in favour of how video displays, on a device that hardly anyone uses to watch video on? I'm not buying it just yet.

This rumour stems from the implementation of that aspect ratio in iOS 6 right? And 16:9 is a tv resolution- could be something to do with that. Running apps on the tv- building on the success of the Ouya project. That's my prediction

Fingers crossed the new iphone will have a bigger screen & resolution but the same aspect ratio. So all existing apps scale to fit nicely. 100% backwards compatibility, bigger screen, more pixels to play with for the developers. Everyone's happy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast