User Tag List

Thread: Super Mario 3 style overworld saving: Easy solution?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super Mario 3 style overworld saving: Easy solution?

So, I'm working on having an overworld in my game that is very similar to the overworld in Super Mario 3. There will probably be around 100 "levels" in this overworld when it's done, and I'm looking for a simple solution for saving which stages have been completed.
    The stages are marked on the overworld by an active object, and I set a flag on the object to determine whether the stage has been completed or not.

The only easy solution I can think of at the moment is to have 100 different actives to mark the stages, then save 100 different entries in the INI file.

Is there an easier way to achieve this, perhaps just using multiple instances of a single active object?

-Thanks

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could put all the different active objects into a qualifier. I did a SM3 overworld and thats kinda what I did.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    multiple instances, spread a value into each active to tell'em apart. Use an array or you can use INI too but use numbers like level1, level2, etc so you can use loops when loading and saving.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This only works if level 1 is the first level created level 2 the second... level 53 the 53rd..etc

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if the actives are stationary, you could just keep track of the x,y values and use that as the save name... So like if you had a marker at 200,100 then you could save a flag to "200,100"

Use something like tokenizer or string parser to split them up and read the values.

This way if your character goes to a marker, it checks the x,y value of the marker and see is it is flagged or not, or any other info you want to include in there.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you need to check each box's spread value and place it at the right position. Much less hassle than tracking the X,Y values as Konidas suggests. Organize the map and just place the boxes at the very end, don't need to do much else. You delete all instances of the level box, and place the only one on the first level then clone it and place it on the next level and so on. (I'm not quite sure if every new active cloned will hold a spread value that's higher or lower than the one that the active it was cloned from had. You gotta check this first).