User Tag List

Thread: A handful of questions:

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A handful of questions:

Sorry if these will seem a bit newbie but I'm just getting to grips with all this XNA stuff. Anyway, 'ere be some questions and problems I've encountered.

Firstly, when you run it from Visual Studio should it take a while to load everything up and have a blank black screen after all the files have been imported over. With this, is it normal or good to have so many picture files (like I was porting a flash game over, and I have over 1000 images.) Is that ok?

Secondly, it keeps crashing/hanging every time a level is restarted.

Thirdly, is there a way to make loading screens, so when it's loading a new level, it doesn't appear "stuck".

Finally, can you/is there a way of putting the file on a USB, and running it off there?

Just a couple of questions =). I'm sure peeps know solutions :3. Thanks in advance.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    First of all, VS can take a while to compile and deploy to the xbox. It's not so much the deployment to Xbox that takes the time it's VS compiling the build to send over that can take 1-3 minutes depending on game size.

1000+ images is a LOT lol... it already struggles with 100 images because it is using individual image files, this has been fixed by Francois and we're awaiting Yves to return to implement something then the new BETA will be released so this may cure your problem however, I would try and optimise your game engine somehow to use less than 1000+ images. VS shouldn't be presenting you with a 'black screen' it should be in 'debug mode' where it displays output windows and the Intellitrace companion. If after building and deploy it's showing you a black screen it means after compiling the window wasn't redrawn successfully so you could have memory issues.

2) If it crashes there is something wrong internally (code/events) as I have not yet experienced a single crash with multiple stress tests so nothing obvious springs to mind.

3) I figured a trick out for a pseudo-loading screen. If your game size is say 1024x768 then make a 1024x768 loading screen and import it as an active. Create at start and have it out of the window at start of frame and invisible. When your action to load the next frame is commenced you simply have:
    Active:Position 0,0
    Active:Reappear

The engine 'hangs' on the last frame not the beginning of the new frame so it will display your loading screen until the new frame is fully loaded.

Finally, no it has to be deployed via XNA Game Connect for it to work.

I would strongly recommend reviewing all your code as there are huge differences between flash and XNA, however if you code efficiently enough in flash and without any extensions there shouldn't be any immediate problems. If this is not the case with your coding I would recommend starting a new engine based just on the XNA format that way you can test AS you code

Best of luck.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Images ) The next beta version of the XNA runtime will save the graphics as mosaics. This will divide the number of images by 50 (depending on the size of the images). It will load MUCH faster.
    Crash ) This is not normal. Can you tell me what is the error message displayed by Visual Studio? Can you send me the mfa, and explain how to crash it?
    Loading screens ) It will go a lot faster with mosaics, I do not think you'll need a loading screen

Dont know about the last one.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, I've done some testing with the restarting crash and it would seem it's only happening in one of my flash games. The error I get is this;
    A first chance exception of type 'System.IndexOutOfRangeException' occurred in Rats.exe
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.IndexOutOfRangeException' occurred in Rats.exe
    However, with other stuff I've ported and a simple screen resolution test, they restart the level fine. I'm guessing it's prolly me and my sloppy event coding sometimes or something to do with maybe that I've got in a INI in there Francois. I haven't actually fully ported it for XNA, so I'm guessing it was a fault upon my part when just quickly testing stuff out. If you still want the mfa. file, I'll gladly attach it on another post.

1000+ is a lot, Danny aye, but I was testing out some epic game I had in the works. I guess at the moment the exporter can't handle that so I'll resort to making simple game (which I should really anyway.)Maybe a simple GB styled Zelda game, using as little tile-sets and sprite animations as possible.

It's a blank black screen on the TV, through Xbox, not on my computer screen. (Sorry forgot to mention that.) However I'm guessing that is normal as it's reporting: '0a8e4764c59b4bfe93da56df33f05ceb' (Managed): Loaded 'GAME:\runtime\v4.0\System.dll' among other pieces of information in my Output box.

Thanks for the tips on loading screen as well Danny, if I ever need to make one in the future, you've given me a nice little trick in doing it =). The only thing I use is the fast loop, which now isn't an extension (remembering back in the ol' TGF1 days, when it was.) Flash games seem to run, rather smoothly however I am known to make things a bit too much for the exporter/flash to cope sometime :3.

Anyway thanks for the tips, heads up guys. Can't wait for the update, as it means people can start to make more complex stuff! =)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No Problems, just make sure you add every 1 second 'Bring to Front' for your loading active too so it's the only thing showing at the end.

With regards to the black screen that is just the game bombing out. Try and create a simple bouncing ball game and deploy that just to ensure it's not your xbox or television... The exporter is more than capable atm, in fact it's outwitting my PC in standard runtime by a country mile.

I have created a dynamic starfield loading 450 actives on-screen with random positions and using a fastloop, it managed 450. Any higher than that killed it, but 450 is more than sufficient!
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, I've got a loading screen pretty much nailed, was good advice.

That black screen even occurred when I deployed a file that was just a picture while testing for best resolution sizes. Active object haven't been a problem, I usually try to keep with-in 100-200 anyway, and less when working with flash.

It's basically trying to get to grips on what we can work with at the moment, really quite fun!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you report me the name of the source file, and line number where the crash happens?