Thread: Clickteam please improve PERFORMANCE of MMF2 games ASAP

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Clickteam please improve PERFORMANCE of MMF2 games ASAP

Hi there!

I'm sorry but this is very frustrating to me. I'm trying to make a decent looking game in a resolution less than 640x480 and when I have about 800 objects my computer goes to it's knees! This is unacceptable Clickteam. When I look at FREE engines like Unity3D, there are much more complex engines at work and the performance is top notch, even with far more objects that use far more advanced movement or AI code in the background for each individual object AND I have a much higher resolution. If you want to sell a product for 300$ then please make sure it's up to par with other programs at least when it comes to game performance!

Right now I'm spending WAY too much time trying to figure out the best way to save performance on a game that should run on a SNES!! I have better things to do except waste hours and hours with no end to test my frame rate! I can run Crysis2 with perfect performance on my machine, but with your product my computer can't handle the simplest games?!?

How comes I'm making a fairly simple platformer and I even have to worry about stuff like performance with a frame with about 800 objects?! I can make a DOOM map with over 2000 monsters and there is no loss of performance whatsoever! And my engine doesn't have as much complex AI as the monsters in Doom. So what is the problem here, Clickteam? How comes MMF2 is so poor with performance and you force your customers to waste so much time to make sure they have good performance even without fancy graphic effects?

Is it because it doesn't support multi cpu usage? If so, please get to that as soon as possible, because even my cell phone has a dual core and if MMF2 can't use this advantage, that it's a damn waste of performance and I (the customer) should not be forced to waste so much time on saving performance of a game that is so simple if you're the guys who waste all the potential of modern computers!

Thanks. Angry rant off...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's your job, you need to ensure your game runs well by learning what uses the most memory. The game shouldn't run on a SNES, that's not how it works at all. Just because you drew small sprites doesn't mean it's rendering basic tiles, it's a complex engine which uses advanced collision detection and OpenGL. Learn how to save memory. If you love Unity3D so much, go and use that instead; if you want super fast games then learn to manage memory either through proper memory allocation in coding or by properly learning how MMF2 works.

You can't just get a 'derp make yer own games proper easy' tool and expect it to run like DOOM. DOOM's engine was built to be able to display 2000 monsters at once, MMF2's engine was built to allow you to create whatever you want without having to allocate memory yourself, therefore you need to build your engine within MMF2 to be able to display your 800 objects properly. Read about fine detection, deactivating objects etc., you can't just fart a load of objects all over the screen and then blame ClickTeam when it doesn't run like Minecraft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantJ View Post
    That's your job, you need to ensure your game runs well by learning what uses the most memory.
    You're kidding me, right? That is exactly the job that MMF2 is supposed to take care of. So in your words it's ok that Clickteam 'farts out' a program that has terrible performance compared to everything else and the job of the customer is to make it run decent by spending time on things like memory allocation instead of good game design? Unacceptable.

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    800 objects with collision detection for every other object will definitely slow everything down but 20,000 objects with bounce movement is perfectly fine.

I have an engine that does basic AI with 1000 actives and it runs ok (http://community.clickteam.com/showthread.php?t=72110), so you must have some pretty complicated AI going...

Also you don't have to have every object running its AI routines until they are on screen - that's how most games get past this problem.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Blue66, please refrain from using that sort of kind of language of yours when in this whereabouts. Most probably, it is your very own fault that out of (YOUR LACK OF) expertise or knowledge or experience you can't simply have your own design function properly, but that's your own problem, not MF's. Learn more, experiment more, ask for collaboration in proper terms. This is a collaborative forum for creators beyond abusive languages or attitudes thus please keep on using MF or just move on onto any other system and SHUT UP!!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To take Blue66's side, MMF2 is not the fastest piece of dev software around. There are plenty of things that I would love to do that I just don't do in MMF2, simply because it's not efficient enough even if I optimize my events (and trust me, that's a skill I have). Of course, I don't go flamy about it either.

Blue66: Don't expect CT to speed everything up before MMF3. They aren't suddenly going to make major improvements to the whole event system to allow us to write more efficient code. It's a massive change and it'll require them to rewrite every runtime. MMF2 has features that points back to Klik & Play over 15 years ago, and I have the impression they want to make massive improvements with MMF3, but that is not something easy.

This leaves you with two choices. As much as you hate it, number one is that you program your game differently. Create an editor and an external level format, load and unload parts of the levels (including enemies) when needed, disable groups of events depending of if the enemies they represent is on screen or not. Remember, the world in my new game is 24576x19968 pixels and 100374 objects exists within it. The game uses a single frame to show all this. It works thanks to the fact that when you can not see a piece of scenery or an AI, it's not actually there.

Choice two is of course that you use another dev platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artematopeya View Post
    Dear Blue66[...]
    What language are you talking about? The only 'offensive terms' I used was a quote from DistantJ 'fart out'. Come on, how old are you, 6?

Stop being offended by my critique. I'm not trying to bash anyone, just pointing out my frustration over the lack of efficiency that MMF2 has. Also you telling me to shut up is more rude than I ever was, because it's not constructive in any way, so please take your own advice if you don't have anything constructive to offer for this conversation. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifflas View Post
    [...]
    Thank you. I guess there is no other choice for me but to split up the areas of the game to have less objects per frame.

But having to do stuff like this is a lot of wasted time for me as a developer that I would rather spend on more levels, content and features of the game and I think Clickteam should have a priority on good performance instead of having more and more platforms that developers can publish on. I mean looking at some of the other platforms like Flash, there seems to be an even greater lack of performance which basically renders it almost useless to consider.

How good is having a platform to export to if the only game that runs smoothly on it is Pacman?! So how about working out some better performance overall so people can create more features and better games?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree with you Blue66. For example I designed a game that is pretty good, but the code was a mess because I didn't know how to properly optimize the code and asked a member here to come aboard on the project. After he rebuilt the entire engine, it was like night and day of how the game preforms now and I learned a lot about optimizing to have the game run smooth. IMO, before you put down MMF and the Clickteam you should look at your code in a different way and optimize it so it works correctly. You have to remember that MMF was created for beginners to advanced coders so they can get a feel for making games and easy for them to understand and put together an application quickly, but you also have to remember that MMF can be used to create very complex games and so on too. The game that we are working on now is very complex and the member that came on board with it is very talented and sometimes takes days to figure out the best way to optimize a single line of code for the game, but the end result is correct. I read his code and I'm floored of how it works and to be honest, It's very hard for me to understand, but after going over it more than a few times, I get it and why it was done that way.

I do agree with you that MMF is limited with some things we can't do with it, but the Clickteam is working on MMF-3 and I'm sure when it comes on the market it will be very good and much different than MMF-2 and I'll be one of the first in line to buy it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Def, MF2 does not rank 1st in every aspects. But which dev system is perfect? I can program my apps using the visual metaphor of MF while I just can't make my way even thru the basics of many other fast and almighty systems. Maybe it was just Blue66's mistake to go for MF2 if he could handle higher-level packages easily. And be a bit more respectful in the meantime. You're right on the fact that facts must not be always left on the user's side, but what can be done if the implementation of the system has limits, being slave to the design decissions made at the early ages of Klik'n'play? You're a living example of MF being pushed to the limits... and MF3 is on the way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sucks is your attitude, honey, not your quote. Period.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast