User Tag List

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Clickteam please improve PERFORMANCE of MMF2 games ASAP

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I personally believe this is a matter of karma in a social mood.

The stigma that surrounded the Click range since KnP stuck and people weren't willing to dig their heels into MMF2 and find out just exactly what it was/is capable of. It is clearly capable of a LOT of things, CT provided the product and if people decided to stick with 'well I can just drag n drop tiles and create a quick platformer in 10 minutes' without realising they could create their OWN external level editors using arrays/inis, create a completely custom platform movement that works to a tee based on how they manually code it; then that is ignorance on their part.

I think people are finally beginning to realise how powerful MMF2 can be in terms of development and once you decide to take the time to trial and error more with their projects and dig deeper into what it can achieve with manual coding then you start to see the full potential. There are improvements MMF2 could make, that's what MMF3 will concentrate on, however around 95% of the cases it is down to pure optimisation and optimising from the beginning whilst coding your project to ensure it remains a smooth development.

To coin this in a different sense:
    You can't just open a supermarket with an unorganised isle and shelving system, no proper tilling system, no carrier bags and expect a flawless result for your shoppers.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AyreGuitar View Post
    Simon - I noticed from your post that Blue66 is using loops with names like "xPopCowboy". Not sure if it's still the case, but I remember reading years ago on these forums that the longer the loop name the longer the time it takes in matching it for 'On loop "xPopCowboy"' conditions - so using a different name like "x" might give some speed improvement (of course it makes the code less readable). Not sure if this extends to ForEach too, would be nice to know.

This is actually shaping into a nice thread for optimisation tips!
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but my gut instinct would be that it depends on the names of the other loops as to how much this adds to the processing...

String matching generally proceeds character by character until an incorrect character is encountered, eg. searching for "dogapalooza":

"dogomatic" (would fail match at character 4)
    "dogapalooza" (would pass matching at last character)
    "dogaparty" (would fail match at character 6)

So, if all of your loops start with "dog" or "doga" then every single one has to be scanned until at least character 5 before any difference is found. If they all started with something unique however, like:

"Adogomatic"
    "Bdogomatic"
    "Cdogomatic"

and so on... or even "AA", "AB" ... "AZ" .. "BA", "BB", "BZ" ... then you would be able to maintain readability, but, only ever need to scan 2 letters deep.

How much this adds to the processing burden is another matter... Mathias might know the answer to that? I suppose if you are running a lot of loops all the time then it could make a difference.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    How much this adds to the processing burden is another matter... Mathias might know the answer to that? I suppose if you are running a lot of loops all the time then it could make a difference.
    It depends on the runtime. Anaconda actually caches loop conditions and their string hashes if the loop string is constant, so there's pretty much no penalty there. For Flash/Java, I suppose a string hash is maintained too for easy comparison, but I doubt the loop conditions are cached. For the native/standard runtimes, my guess is that strcmp is used, so the penalty is slightly higher for that runtime. strcmp is pretty fast though, but I suppose it could be a bottleneck if there are enough loop conditions.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To give you some numbers, on my machine I can verify 20 character long strings to be equal about a million times in 0.1 seconds (via C's strcmp).

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yeah I figured as much, you'd really have to go some to have this be the bottleneck... other factors are way more likely to come into play before this ever becomes an issue.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iOS and other mobile ones got some issues with names.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Such as? (I ask just so that people can see the information and work around it... whilst the thread is giving advice about optimisation etc. )

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had discussion with Andos about it and he said that in general CT is using the most effective ways of string comparision and that in my project the lenght of loop names wouldn't matter that much as it is optimised, yet some updates to that formula for iOS and XNA improved performance a bit.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do length of group names also affect performance? Say if a loop is constantly activating and disabling a group (for checking movement collisions for example)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't think so, group names are fixed at build time so they are most likely referenced using tokens or hashes instead of the names you see in the event list.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast