Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Memory Device Selection Fail

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2XNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory Device Selection Fail

Hi my game Nessie is currently 50 percent through peer review. One of the members who reviewed it said this

Sorry, had to fail it due to a Code 4 and requirement to use the first controller.

- When starting with a hard drive and USB stick plugged in, I was forced to switch from the second controller to the first controller to handle memory device selection.
    - At the conclusion of the gameplay itself, I was presented with a high score screen. I was forced to, once again, switch from second to first player to handle the input. I chose to not enter a name and just hit "B" to exit out of this screen. This caused a Code 4. After reentering the game, the score was still listed in the high scores and was assigned to the profile signed into the second controller.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but the memory device selector stuff is handled by the exporters code not mine. If this is the case we will need a fix please.

-Thanks

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No, this is a fault at your end.

You must monitor and track which controller is in use for the game and use that when corresponding to Opening Marketplace and Device Selector. I am assuming if you've got this far you must be used to XNA now, however I can confirm that you need to show device selector per player not just once for controller 1.

If the device selector or your controller input is not corresponding on the selected pad then you are not tracking the joypad in the correct manner. I would recommend checking out ColeJ's device handling example.

I can only confirm this because my game uses input from a possible 4 controllers and each one works individually as it should.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did use ColeJ's method of handling controllers. However I did not make the code that brings up the device selector if there is multiple memory units. The only thing MMF2 has is the action to bring up memory device selector. Which appears to be useless since we can't check if how many memory units they have or if it gets pulled etc. MMF2 automatically brings up the device selector if there is multiple memory units. Unless I have missed out on some option or check box somewhere to turn this off or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear part 2 of that members fail about the high-scores. That was on my end and I fixed that. (forgot to un check the "check on start" on my second leader-board). I am only asking about the device selector.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Those30Ninja's - That is strange. The device storage selector is all automated. What I do is; check for profile login (user presses Start) to detect pad in use and in same action as setting joypad in use I call the 'Player Sign In' and 'Show Device Storage Selector'. The device storage selector is global whilst the game is in use.

If the user pulls an MU mid-game it will revert to HDD as to not cause any crashes. You will need to update to the latest BETA 34 to achieve this. See the XNA Owners Lounge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I updated to beta 34. The device selector still is automated and appears when there is more than one device. It still cannot be controlled by anything other than the first controller. Are you able to control the device selector with other controllers in your game?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, you need to call the sign-in screen for 4 players, this allows you to then set joypad in use and profile(index) in use. THEN call the storage selector this will reflect the chosen player index.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TitlescreenCode.jpg

So here is my code on my first screen here. Before this code even starts the device selector is automatically brought up if there is more than one device. From my understanding the "open storage device selector" wont do anything if it has already been brought up.

Thank you for all your help by the way.

Man that image is small...

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to 'set system player' (XNA object) to the correct player. This tells the game which profile the ini is going to use, and hence which profile's storage selector to bring up. That code should be in my tutorial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok maybe I'm not being clear here. BEFORE any of my code executes BEFORE I can even set the system player based on a button press exactly how it is in colej_uk's example. The Device selector is AUTOMATICALLY brought up when there is more than one memory device. I see no option to prevent it from doing this before I get a chance to set the player index to the correct player with my code based on the button press. It seems like I must be missing something really obvious here that I'm doing wrong. My Code looks identical to your example Cole. Have I missed some check box somewhere?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast