User Tag List

Thread: How to run MP3 music on Windows Mobile

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to run MP3 music on Windows Mobile

Hi all,

Always I have used WAV as sounds and OGG files as music using the channels for all of my games. This works perfectly for me once ported onto the windows mobile device but after a little browsing on the forum I have found that Microsoft rejects apps where your music plays over the phones music player. When using MMF2 I only know how to play MP3 files by using the Direct Show extension but no music plays when running on the mobile. Any suggestions please?

I have tried loading the MP3 from the extension object and running a command to play.
    I have tried loading the MP3 from "AppPath"+"/"+"MP3NAME"
    I have tried loading using both of the above

Again I am stuck with using my best method which will not be accepted correct? What method is best for XNA?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is very simple : just do PLAY SAMPLE mymp3file.MP3

The file MUST be the first sample you play in the frame. If the file is an mp3, it will be played as a music.
    Musics will respect the Microsoft specs, and only play when authorized.

Pleas note that Windows Phone does NOT allow playing OGG files directly : so when you use an OGG file in your game, it will be converted into WAV, a sound effect, and be rejected by microsoft as a background music. Furthermore, the resulting WAV file will be huge. You should avoid playing OGG files in a Windows Phone app : just one MP3 for the background music, and WAVs for the soud effects.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    It is very simple : just do PLAY SAMPLE mymp3file.MP3

The file MUST be the first sample you play in the frame. If the file is an mp3, it will be played as a music.
    Musics will respect the Microsoft specs, and only play when authorized.

Pleas note that Windows Phone does NOT allow playing OGG files directly : so when you use an OGG file in your game, it will be converted into WAV, a sound effect, and be rejected by microsoft as a background music. Furthermore, the resulting WAV file will be huge. You should avoid playing OGG files in a Windows Phone app : just one MP3 for the background music, and WAVs for the soud effects.
    Hi Francois,

I have tried this many times including now. When selecting PLAY SAMPLE the option to choose an MP3 is not available and never has been. If I use the view all files and select it anyway it will not play the sound in game. Even if I try to port it to XNA it will give me an error that the MP3 sound could not be transferred. I am also using the latest update. I had noticed that MP3 compatibility was added a long time ago but as much as I would have used this instead of OGG I just never really bothered to post about it until now. Where am I going wrong?

Also when creating a normal PC application the sound filters do not show MP3.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The XNA exporter of MMF2 installs a MP3 filter that allows you to import MP3 files into MMF2 applications. When you click Play Sample and open the file selector, you should see "MP3 files (*.mp3)" in the file types.

If you don't see it, check that the Files/Sounds directory of MMF2 contains mp3flt.sft. If it's not in the directory, reinstall the latest patch of MMF2 :

- if you use the build 255, install the patch of MMF2 Build 255 available in the public forum
    - if you use the beta version of the build 256, reinstall it from the private beta test forums

If mp3flt.sft is installed and you still don't see *.mp3 in the list, then it could be a codec issue. Usually a MP3 codec is installed on every machine though.