User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Using IAPs - Lessons Learned

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this problem with an earlier build, but it should work now. I only do this, nothing special:
    Every second
    + Negate (Can payments be made) -> show error message etc.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoKa View Post
    What I'd like to know: were the customers who paid for the game offended when you made it free+IAP?
    Are the consumables lost when a player has to re-install the device or do you store this data on your own server?
    Surprisingly I didn't get any complaints about the app going free. I think this was partly because the features I added were new to the game, and could be "earned" by playing without necessarily needing to spend money. Also, I think there would have been complaints if I added advertising, which is why I haven't added any (although I wish I had some from the beginning)

For your other question, consumables are only saved in the ini file, so if you remove the game you lose them. (non-consumables can be retrieved)

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool. Nice to see such a change in sales model can be done without complaints - when done with caution.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JoKa - Thanks for the tip! Using your suggestion works if IAP disabled, but not for Airplane mode. I was trying to use Start of Frame + Can payments be made? - seems like this is always true! at Start of Frame!!!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really cool of you to have made this topic, I was thinking of doing something similar to share my experience with upfront sales (having made $13,500 from total app sales so far), but while I found a niche, you've even more impressively managed to succeed in the casual market, which is ENORMOUSLY competitive right now.

One thing I would like to contest, though, based on my experiences with both paid and free apps (I have two free apps and three paid ones, one was free from the beginning, one went free, and one of the paid ones has been made free for limited periods of time before), and that's the idea of starting out for free with IAPs.

See, from what I've learned, while obviously free apps get more downloads, the fact that your app started off paid and then went free will have worked hugely in your favour. A paid app 'going free' is a better business move for indie developers than an app being free from the beginning, despite the fact that you may receive some complaints from the people who paid (seriously, anybody who gets angry about spending 99 cents on a fully interactive software, on their 500 dollar plus mobile phone, whilst sipping their 5 dollar latte, you should probably ignore), because whilst the big businesses can afford to advertise their freemium products, we can get free advertising by dropping our prices or, even better, going free. There are a whole tonne of websites, Twitter accounts etc. which are automatically generated from bots which detect price drops, many exclusively detect apps going free. These get zillions of followers and we don't have to pay them a penny to mention our products. My first iOS game, which was ludicrously simple (Tap cows and they explode. The end.) went from 1-3 downloads a day to about 3,000 the day it went free.

Generally I let AWESOME Land go for free a few days at a time just to build a bigger fanbase and you also get a boost of sales for the next few days from it, but the numbers in those days have been enormous, and if IAP becomes involved in a situation like this, 1-2% of millions works out as a lot more than 100% of hundreds.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may well go back to making non-freemium games after my attempt at a freemium one. Freemium can obviously be successful but I keep going back and forth on them as to whether I personally, want to go that route. Basically I'm in two mindsets about the idea:

I don't like having to design my game around a concept that kind of lures people to spend more money. Not from a moral standpoint or anything- if people are willing to spend the money then that's fine imo. Just from a design perspective, I don't really like designing my games around that concept.

And you really do have to design your game around that to make money. Case in point- I had a free weekend for MegaCity 2 months ago. It was mostly to gain more users and bring in a fresh wave of rating reviews. But I had also introduced some in-app purchases in previous updates so it was also to kind of test the water with those. If the IAPs were a success then I could even offer the game as free right?

The IAPs were certainly more add-ons than gameplay essentials- I have a consumable to boost the player a level, I have a 'double XP mode' non-consumable where players can level up twice as fast, and I also have a non-consumable to unlock another 6 challenges for challenge mode. Were these IAPs a success? Absolutely not, while I had 28k downloads on the Saturday, how many IAPs? 5! Yes, 5. Lesson learned: If they're not part of the core gameplay, then people simply won't buy them.

MegaCity was never designed to be freemium, so it wasn't the end of the world. But it just goes to show if you're going to go this route, then you really need to sell the IAPs inside your game and make them as close to essential as you can without being so.

There's also the psychological thing that if something carries a pricetag- then that reflects it's worth. If something is free, people can often assume it's crap. It may not be the case, but since they got it for free, they perceive it as worthless. Whereas if a game costs £10 and was a great game -if the player felt like they got their money's worth- then they wouldn't feel cheated, even if it was comparable to a cheaper or even free game.

But then on the flip side, if you design it properly, you are offering a certain amount of entertainment for free to some people while still maintaining a decent (or potentially better) profit courtesy of people who choose to buy the IAPs. When you can pull this off everybody wins.

There's also the benefit of just having more people play your game. You'll bring in more players, which means more ratings, more reviews etc etc.

So I'm very much still on the fence with the freemium model. I expect I'll have a better idea on where I stand when I've had a proper attempt at it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about IAP for my game but I can't really figure out how to do it with a metroidvania, starting with the wrong gear can break the game and health bonuses make it way too easy, but it's something I keep thinking about with how popular free stuff is getting.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx Tony. We have already talked about this topic a while ago
    Here is what i have learned so far:

I will upload a tutorial file soon (i hope i find the time to finish it this weekend)
    Ok 1st: thx to (at the moment) unknown clickteam user that has provided the basics of my file! Thx to Tony for his help!
    2nd: My app has not been reviewed yet. So it might be rejected for a mistake I did not see yet (sorry if so - i will change the file if that happens!)

ITUNES CONECT
    A lot of mistakes can be made in ITUNES CONECT
    DONT set your app to: ready for upload if you want to test your iaps (at least this was a HUGE mistake I made)
    DONT set your iap to READY FOR REVIEW (same here!!! yes... i mainly make all the mistakes one can make hehe)
    KEEP IT SIMPLE - use the phrases you are also using for your game.

DEVICE (IPHONE, IPAD,...)
    *Important*
    Logout in: Preferences - Store (with your normal account) - then LEAVE the store options
    NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER login via Preferences- store on your idevice. This will disable your test account (mine did not work any longer)
    Start your game and test your iap - you´ll be asked to login with you account - use your TEST ACCOUNT now!

MULTI MEDIA FUSION 2 - I will provide the example soon
    Check out the example. I have commented as good as possible for a time beyond midnight. I hope you understand.
    It´s not that complicated in the end BUT it can be in the beginning if you don´t know where the mistakes are coming from!

If there is anything more to say about my currently best friends the iaps: please post it in this thread. Thank you!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About free vs paid apps: Yea I know it´s mainly about the money. And the tactic: 99c in the beginning - free later on is great if you wanna sell your apps. BUT sometimes people just wanna share their apps with the world and they are fond of the "free software" or "free tool" option. Just sometimes - there is also a moral question I think.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diablohead - I dunno if this is any help at all but my Zelda-type project contains stores and money like any good Zelda, but where you go collecting up money in the game, I am giving the player the option to buy in game currency if they feel like skipping some coin-collecting, which allows certain items such as EXP potions to be purchased. I figure that so long as the in game currency is obtainable through 'grinding' nobody will feel cheated.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast