User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Variable height drop shadow problem

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Variable height drop shadow problem

I attached a picture illustrating my problem because I can't think of any way to actually describe it and get my point across.

As you can see, I have a drop shadow that follows the jumping player. That's fine, but the issue is transitioning to a new height. I can't think of any possible way to have that look correct as the player moves over one level to the next. You can tell which part I have an issue with, it has the ??? above it. I'm not sure it can even be done, at least not without a lot of trickery that would probably be really buggy. I don't necessarily have to have a drop shadow, but I think it looks slightly better.
    Images attachées Images attachées

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isometric Jump Example
    Author: nivram
    Genre: example
    Extensions Needed: none
    Description:
    This Isometric Jump Example gives the illusion of a green egg jumping on iso blocks.
    Instructions:
    Use the Arrow Keys to move Greenie.

http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmfexamples-i.htm
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the example Marv, but that's not really what I need. In that example the drop shadow is on a flat surface. This has to switch from being on the ground to a higher plane and I can't have the circle sticking out and hovering over the edge. The shadow has to stay over the ground only and not hang over empty space. I could have it so that the drop shadow only appears when you are a certain distance over the cliff edge so as to make sure it doesn't hang out, but that would give it a weird appearing and disappearing pop up look that isn't correct, because the shadow would disappear if you are standing near the edge of the cliff.

To clarify, this is side scrolling with the angle showing depth, as opposed to a straight side view like you'd see in Mario Bros. etc.

Edit: I edited the picture to give a better idea of what has to happen. The shadow has to smoothly cut off at the cliff edge as you move over it. The only way I can figure is some sort of animation based on a detector of some kind, but it would have to be pixel perfect, and that seems ridiculously hard to pull off correctly (to me anyway). It also presents another problem, at that angle, you might even have to have it move up the cliff face to transition correctly and that I think is not going to be possible. I think I may just scratch the drop shadow idea. This is something better suited for a 3D engine.
    Images attachées Images attachées

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would have to create an animation of the shadow losing one pixel at a time from each direction... Then you'd change the frame depending on the x position of the shadow compared to the x position of the edge of the object the shadow is on.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like a very difficult problem, the kind that MMF2 isn't good at handling. If it was really important to you, you could try using something like a Surface Object or Active Overlay Object to render shadows below the player using ellipses.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Konidias, that's the only method I could possibly think of. Triggering animations based on a detector and have it change for left and right. But that seems extremely hard to get to look correctly as it has to be pixel perfect matching the speed the player is moving. Though if you're changing animation frames based on X position then the player's speed wouldn't matter I suppose.

Netninja, yeah I think this is more difficult than what it's worth. I might check out those objects and see what I can come up with. Are they compatible with any exporters?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion would be to increase the transparency of the shadow relative to the player's altitude. That way, it would be hard for the player to notice it anyway, and you might find it looks nicer.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My method would work, and wouldn't really be that difficult to implement... Just a bit time consuming with creating all the frames for the shadow... especially if you have different sized shadows for different characters or whatever.

Shaun's solution works pretty well too.. Except if the player is standing halfway over a ledge... But then again, you're using a circle to represent a person's shadow, so it's not like this is super realistic in the first place. :p

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shawn, worry not im pretty sure i have a solution for this and it would be much easier than you would expect
    Just give me some minuttes and ill whip up an example

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks King_Cool, I'll check out your example when it's ready.

Konidias, I might try your method, right now I'm just trying to decide if the drop shadow is worth the time to make it behave correctly. This method is the only one that I can see working correctly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast